Logo

Outdrive Paint

fdefinis

"What are most folks using to

"What are most folks using to paint their outdrives? I have been using the Trilux spray with very poor results. My boat gets a LOT of use but is in somewhat brackish water in between. I get barnacles, slime, and other stuff that I can't identify.

I was going to brush on two coats of the new Trilux 33 but have also heard of people using various waxy compounds. Is anyone familiar with this?

Thanks"

"I'm in the brackish potom

"I'm in the brackish potomac river VA, I use almumacoat, and have also used trilux spray. Same results for both...by the end of the season, outdrive is slime and barnacles/growth. I try to get out every weekend.

David"

"Ayuh,... I just scrub off wi

"Ayuh,... I just scrub off with a scotchpad,+ shoot a coat of Rustoleum Black enamel each spring..."

Are you guys referring to anti

Are you guys referring to anti foul types or black gloss (phantom Black) in general.?

"Ayuh,... I use plain ole Ru

"Ayuh,... I use plain ole Rustoleum Black...

Antifoulng paint should NEVER be put on the Outdrive...
Matter of fact, it's recommended you keep any Antifouling bottom paints, Atleast 1 inch from the outdrive castings..."

"Yep Bond-o posted this chit i

"Yep Bond-o posted this chit i use. High gloss black.

I painted my motor with the same chit.When i had the motor out i painted it with that chit. Maybe 4 coats the oil pan maybe 5 coats. I painted everything i put tape over the alternator screen and painted it, the starter everything. Still looks good.

I paint the tow hitch every year with the same chit.

The same stuff high gloss red i painted my compressor with."

"re: "Antifoulng paint sho

"re: "Antifoulng paint should NEVER be put on the Outdrive...
Matter of fact, it's recommended you keep any Antifouling bottom paints, Atleast 1 inch from the outdrive castings..."

I disagree. While it is true that the antifouling paint that you use on your HULL should never be used on your drive, there are special antifouling paints for drives.

I've been using "Aqua-gard" products for years in a salt/brackish environment with out any damage to the drive and good performance ( pressure washing restores the drive to like-new at the end of the season). Their products are water based and ablative. They are not recommended for use on boats the routinely run over 40 kts. While they sell a product specifically for drives that comes in a spray can, I very much dislike spraying my lower units. They have the same product which is intended for aluminum hulled boats in a can for brushing on that is substantially cheaper. I get 4 seasons worth from a quart can for a single drive.

http://www.aquagardboatpaint.com/productlines_detail.php?cat=Alumi-Koat%20Brusha ble"

"I had the same results with t

"I had the same results with the Trilux spray. Our boat is also in salt and brackish water. I went to buying the Trilux 33 in the quart can and brushing it on. Looks ugly, but works."

Back