Logo

Outboard won't pull when spark plug wires connected

JJsays77

First off thank you forum I usually find what I'm looking for, but I can't find anyone with this same issue so I had to create an account to post this question.

I have a 1971 18hp Evinrude that was working the day before I changed the fuel pump and did a compression test (120 on both cylinders so everything ok there)

Now, when I try to pull it gets stuck. When I take the spark plug wires off all is dandy and it will pull normally, but as soon as I connect them I get the issue of it getting stuck when trying to pull.

Any ideas what it could be?!

I feel so dumb. A problem so simple I can't find a similar issue on here haha yep indeed the wires were crossed. I managed to cross them 4 times too. Not my luck haha but now my question is could I have caused any damage trying to start it crossed? I did have it pop a couple times

I feel so dumb. A problem so simple I can't find a similar issue on here haha yep indeed the wires were crossed. I managed to cross them 4 times too. Not my luck haha but now my question is could I have caused any damage trying to start it crossed? I did have it pop a couple times

You know what Einstein had to say about that don't you? :)

Back