Logo

Outboard was not turning over

rustylh

I have a 1998 Johnson 60H outboard (VRO). The last time I used it was 2018 and did not close the VRO hose valve to shut off the oil. A couple of weeks ago I tried to get it started (New Battery) and it would only turn over once. Yesterday I tested the starter and it worked fine. I decided to take out all of the plugs and it turned over just fine. Alot of oil was coming out of one of the cylinders (Bottom 3rd Cylinder). So, I kept turning if over by hand until there was just a little oil coming out. I put the plugs back in and now it turns over just fine.

Is this something that can happen if left sitting for a long time with the oil valve on? Is there something I can do to prevent this in the future other than closing the valve.

Thank you

Last edited:
I have a 1998 Johnson 60H outboard (VRO). The last time I used it was 2018 and did not close the VRO hose valve to shut off the oil. A couple of weeks ago I tried to get it started (New Battery) and it would only turn over once. Yesterday I tested the starter and it worked fine. I decided to take out all of the plugs and it turned over just fine. Alot of oil was coming out of one of the cylinders (Bottom 3rd Cylinder). So, I kept turning if over by hand until there was just a little oil coming out. I put the plugs back in and now it turns over just fine.

Is this something that can happen if left sitting for a long time with the oil valve on? Is there something I can do to prevent this in the future other than closing the valve.

Thank you
Change your VRO tank cap. There is no way to shut the oil off.

Thank you! However, I do have a shutoff valve inline between VRO tank and motor. Just wondering if there was anything else causing this.
Thanks again for the reply.

Thank you! However, I do have a shutoff valve inline between VRO tank and motor. Just wondering if there was anything else causing this.
Thanks again for the reply.
Get rid of the valve there is not supposed to be one there. After removing the valve follow the bleeding procedure and go boating.

Ok. Thank you. I am familiar with bleeding procedures on hydraulics, auto break lines, things like that. However, I am not sure on the VRO bleeding procedure.

Make sure you replace the cap on the oil tank. That's what caused the whole problem.

Last edited:
Just an update on this. Just to get the motor going I removed the Air Silencer Cover and drained the carbs and pushed a little gas through them. There was quite a bit of oil build up in all three carbs. I had a tank with mixed gas so I disconnect the VRO hose, connected the motor to the mixed tank and it fired right up and stayed running. I did disconnect the fuel and let the motor run until it burned all existing fuel and stopped. Which I have a feeling was not done after last use.

I am waiting on a new VRO Tank Cap. I will give that a go before deciding to completely remove the VRO in favor of mixed gas.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions Flyingscott and Boobie.

Back