Logo

Outboard conversion

nick

Contributing Member
I was told that I needed a C-D

I was told that I needed a C-DRIVE and what that does is mounts the outboard motor about 3ft off the transom. So then you can avoid cutting the back of the boat to tilt the motor up and down out of the water. If anyone has ever heard of something like this PLEASE let me know so I can doit!

"You can buy a bracket to moun

"You can buy a bracket to mount the motor(s) on. Not sure who sells them, but they're out there.

Jeff

PS: Requires a really strong transom!"

"The person who told you this

"The person who told you this was refering to the OMC "Sea Drive". This was an outboard motor with an integral bracket which bolted to the transom of boats specificaly built for it. The OMC Sea-Drive has been out of production for many years and finding a good used one is unlikely. You can get the same effect by, as Jeff mentioned, installing a bracket. Two of the major manufacturers of these brackets are Armstrong http://www.armstrongnautical.com/Brackets.htm and Gil Marine http://www.gilmarine.com/products/gbracket/brackets.html. If you are considering this move as an economical alternative to replacing your I/O engine, you may be shocked by the cost.

As Jeff also mentioned, there is significantly more stress on the transom with this system installed and reinforcing of the transom will be required.

Good Luck,
Rick"

"SeaDrives are nothing more th

"SeaDrives are nothing more than stock OMC engines with an integrated bracket system. Some of the parts unique to the bracket are getting hard to find and expensive. The rest of the engine is standard OMC and parts are easy to find and cheap. They came in 4 and 6 cylinder versions, and I believe they even came in 8 cylinder. They made them from the early 80's through 1990. SeaDrives seem to have a bad rep and when you find one they are usually a bargain. My Boston Whaler has twin SeaDrives and they are great engines. However, I keep an extra engine for parts just in case."

Back