Logo

Out drive install

hoseman

Contributing Member
Hello again I have replaced my

Hello again I have replaced my gimbal bearring and I am having trouble installing the out drive it seems to go in to the engine cuppler but I can not get it in all the way .The out drive slides in but I cant seem to get it pushed in to get the studs to come out the back of the out drive it seems to be hitting something . Please help me with this problem I am at the point of mental brake down thanks Darrin

"Darrin;
If it has stopped ab

"Darrin;
If it has stopped about an inch out, that is normal and is caused by the shaft O rings not wanting to enter the gimbal bearing inner race.
You can give the drive a few cautious raps with a rubber mallet or something similar to get it started. If it wont go, do not force it. Pull the drive back out and start again.
Note also that if you don't have the shifter and the lower shift shaft in forward gear, they won't engage properly and will prevent the drive from seating.
See the post immediately below this one for more info on drive leg installation.
It's not hard to do, but you have to know the correct procedure, or it is a PITA.

Hope that helps,
Rod"

"try rotating the the shaft as

"try rotating the the shaft as u slip it into the spine, i had to make the same repair last summer.
Hint: if u have the lower unit shaft in to the point where theres no space to use your fingers to rotate it, try slippen in a screw driver to do the job...srry if for some reason im no help, we might be thinkin of two different things here
-ryan c"

Back