Logo

OS rod bearings 1996 115 hp

jgs4hunter

I'm rebuilding my Evinrude 1996 115hp V4 60 deg motor. The crank is slightly scored and I was wondering if anyone has heard of OS rod bearings. I have a machine shop that will cut the crank if I can find the bearings and specs?
Thanks. Mike

Re: OS rod bearings

I've been in this trade since 1960..... I've never encountered a C/S-C/R oversize bearing. However, various shops do correct (weld) crankshaft throw flaws, then restore the throw to a standard specification. I have no idea how it holds up though.

Crankshaft in an outboard is an ultra precision item.-----------------------I have looked at so called " repaired / rebuilt " cranks.-----------------The repaired journals were not hardened for the roller bearings after the repairs. Also welding tends to bend the shafts as well and that is also a no,no.----------------Look for a used crankshaft, lots of them around.-------E_BAY

Yes I see that welding on the crank then reserfacing could be problematic. In automotive use I have seen cranks cut with oversized bearings used many times. Of course it is a diiferent kind of bearing (not roller). It just seems to me to be so much simpler to cut and pollish a crank with a slightly larger roller bearing? Cut cranks do not loose hardness I think.

Automotive bearings use pressure oil to spread the load over a wide area, no need for " hard " surfaces.---------Roller bearings use oil to set up a wedge of high pressure oil at speed.--------------Earlier cranks were " case hardened " and could not be ground.--------------There is too much chance for error in reworking a high performance outboard crank.----------------Go with a good new or used one !!!------------I have seen machine shops that said they could repair outboard cranks , results were a " joke "------------Scrap !

New cranks appear as " not available "-----Used looks like the only option.-----------------Sad that BRP is no longer supporting the motors of some years ago.--------------They appear to be going the way of offshore manufactured motors.------------

Well gents. After much research on the topic I still don't understand why no one cuts and polishes outboard cranks? No body has info on OS bearings. I did find two companies, Blackburn marine distributors and Northwest outboard crankshafts that can get new or rebuilt shafts for my engine. The later, NW outboard cranks has new for $445 and rebuilt for $325. He is in WA, so shipping ? who knows
Blackburn out of NJ, who is really a outboard motor rebuilder says they use rebuilt shafts in many of there engines with no trble? I think I will iether go used or new if I can't find one. Thanks

Easy.

It is called "Metal Spraying" available down under at performance/commercial machine shops/engineering stuff.

Search that near to you.

After the spray, everything is re ground to whatever you need.

Standard bearings can be fitted like it was original afterwards. You just need to let the shop know what measurements initially. Anything can be re-sized.............if not totally Dingo Rooted.

B

PS: Before any replies about hardness etc...............Before grinding, the crank is Nitrided. Also, if the crank is worn, big ends need some attention as wear will be on them as well. All is possible but consider your cost first.

Last edited:
jgs4hunter....please listen to Joe and Racerone, they are correct. Find a new or good used crank, this is your best option. Forget all that other stuff. Joe and racerone have been giving you the correct info.....please listen.

This is the transcript of an ACTUAL radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995:

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: We are a lighthouse. Your call.

The Lesson: Sometimes, we need to simply follow the directives we're given, even if, in the IMMEDIATE MOMENT, they may not APPEAR to make sense to us. By trusting the strategic initiative we're given, we avoid a bigger issue that works against our success overall. I hope this little story highlights why we need to move in the direction we were given.

Joe and racerone have steered you in the right direction....please stay on course!!

Last edited:
Ouch! LoL! Interesting info I've learned on this prodject. I was told by an technition at a dealer that there was a problem with the castings on the upper inner exhaust housings on early 60 deg motors. Some develope cracks that spray water up onto the lower crank seal. He found me a blown powerhead and when we ripped the case apart to get the crank out it was the same as mine! Lower crank bearing ,rod brearing rusted! Could be why I am not seeing any 60 deg V-4 cranks on ebay. Lots of earlyer ones though? I'm gonna check out mine when I get home! I might now need an exhaust housing in addition the the crankshaft or maybe i can weld it?

Back