Logo

Optimax 150 will not start

Optirook

New to the site and hoping for some guidance. I have a 2008 Mercury Optimax 150hp on a Procraft bass boat. I purchased this engine new and have taken very good care of it. It has been a tremendous engine without any issues. This past week I dropped it in the water for the first time. Had a very hard time starting it. Usual sequence is I turn the key on, sounds the alarm and then I turn it over to start it. The alarm sounded weak and barely started. I let it warm up like I always do (engine sounded great, pumping water) and after about 10 minutes at a very idle speed, I hit the throttle and it died immediately. From that point on I could never even get the alarm to turn on again. The connection feels completely dead. I have power to the dashboard as it lights up, I have power at the engine and can trim it up and down from the engine itself, but not from the controls.

I replaced the battery as it was getting old. Put a brand new battery in, charged it up and tried it again. Still no power at all to get it to turn over. No alarm, I checked for loose wiring and didn't find anything (though I'm not a mechanic), I checked the kill switch and made sure it was in place. I'm completely stumped and hoping someone could help guide me to a solution if they had a similar experience.

Back