Logo

Optimax 150 grommet for trim sensor cable

mercmadness

Re: 2006 Optimax 150.
The trim sensor cable and the tilt motor cable route from the tilt assembly under the lower cowling and through a rubber grommet (part # 12602002) into the power head compartment, The grommet apparently has to be removed for the cable connectors to pass through the bottom engine plate. My grommet is dry and hard to get to both under the plate and from inside the motor are at the bottom of the lower cowl.
Does anyone know if the grommet was installed ( pushed in) from the inside or was it pushed from the outside. One end of the grommet is tapered. I will have to force it out with a screwdriver or similar tool, I am not able to see either end well enough to determine which is the tapered (smaller diameter) end.
Thanks

Take the cowlings off and you will see everything.
I have the upper and lower cowlings remove and I can see to a small extent the bushing but it is mostly blocked by harnesses inside and steering arm underneath. I should be able to drive it out but knowing which end was inserted where will make life easier. Since the two wire harnesses are through the grommet, I don't want to damage the wires while trying to drive the grommet out.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back