Logo

One engine is behind

1987 350 cruisador in a 34 sea

1987 350 cruisador in a 34 searay v drives.engines run fine for the first half hour.after that when tring to get on plan the starboard engine lags behind for about 1-5 min.most times it will then catch up with the other engine.you can hear the engine start to pick up speed and the rpm's then come up to match the other engine.i have replace the fuel filters in the carb as well as the water/fuel seperators.i have exchanged coils from one engine to the other and the same engine is still at fault.i first though this was a fuel problem but am not so sure any more.could this be a vapour lock??the engines were to be tuned up a year ago before i bought the boat.any suggestions to speed up the fix would be appricated.

"Sounds like advance mechanism

"Sounds like advance mechanism in distributor is sticking from dirt and corrosion. Distributors should be removed, checked, cleaned and lubricated periodically, especially in marine engines. Easy job. Note position of distributor before removing or reset timing when reinstalling Note position of rotor also before removing (distributors with slot type bottom of shaft are either on correct firing or 180 degrees off when reinstalling, geared shafts rotate a few degrees as you remove or reinstall due to spiralling of gear)."

"If you are lugging along like

"If you are lugging along like that for 30 minutes, you are playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in the chamber!

Jeff"

"I'd swap the Carbs,+

"I'd swap the Carbs,+ see if the issue follows it.....

And,.... I Agree with Jeff....

If it Is going Lean,....
You stand a solid chance of just plain Smoking your motor......"

the engine usually only lags b

the engine usually only lags behind while boat is getting up on plain.the odd time it will lag for approximately 3-5 min.it works fine for the first time up on plain but after that the engine will lag and seems to get worse the more you run it.the carbs were overhauled and cleaned three years ago but i guess that doesn't mean there is not dirt in there now.good suggestion to swap carbs.i will try that as well as check the mechanical advance in the distributer.

Id say check out the distribut

Id say check out the distributor. I had one engine that did the same thing for a couple of years and could never figure it out. It was always on and then off. Then I opened up the distributor and wow it was badly corroded. The advance springs had actualy rusted through and were just laying there in pieces. Bought all new pieces parts and reassembled with light layer of lube all over the metal parts and she runs like a new engine.

Back