Logo

OMC control interlock???

Has anybody tried to remove whatever is inside the remote control that stops the throttle from moving while the fast start lever is raised. Its hard to tell looking at a parts diagrahm. I dont want to take the thing apart if its pretty much impossible to do. 83 model side control for a 140. I have a jet foot. I am aware of why it was designed this way. with the jet and a cold natured motor in a lot of river current it would be very helpful to be able to get on with it and lower the fast start after you are moving. There is no gears to tear up in a jet so its not like drop shifting a boat with a regular lower unit. If the interlock is real hard to change how bout wiring around the starter disable with throttle raised. Any thoughts.​

I am going to be very blunt here.------The 83 -140 HP is not a " cold natured " motor if in good condition.---------Changing things in the control box to me is totally the wrong approach !!--------Trouble shoot and repair what is actually wrong with the motor.-----My suggestion is to start with a compression test to establish condition of the motor.

Fresh rebuild on power head. Good fuel lines psi etc. compression is good . carbs rebuilt ignition system is in good working order. Heat and humidity here are the problem. it runs good after about 3 mins of warmup. Runs great even when engine is cold when temps are not 98 degrees with 98% humidity. My pickup doesnt idle very well in this weather. Power head acted this way prior to rebuild and carb cleaning. yes the high idle does not keep you from starting but the throttle lever does. if i remove the inter lock i can crank it without using the high idle lever by slightly raising throttle/shft lever. Thanx racer for the being blunt but im not really trying to mask a problem. I would try just raising the idle but this boat already goes forward because of the jet when it is at an idle in "neutral". I have already adjusted my flap on the jet to compensate for this but without writing a book here that is adjusted to where i like it to be at.

Fresh rebuild on power head. Good fuel lines psi etc. compression is good . carbs rebuilt ignition system is in good working order. Heat and humidity here are the problem. it runs good after about 3 mins of warmup. Runs great even when engine is cold when temps are not 98 degrees with 98% humidity. My pickup doesnt idle very well in this weather. Power head acted this way prior to rebuild and carb cleaning. yes the high idle does not keep you from starting but the throttle lever does. if i remove the inter lock i can crank it without using the high idle lever by slightly raising throttle/shft lever. Thanx racer for the being blunt but im not really trying to mask a problem. I would try just raising the idle but this boat already goes forward because of the jet when it is at an idle in "neutral". I have already adjusted my flap on the jet to compensate for this but without writing a book here that is adjusted to where i like it to be at.

my shift/throttle lever really only acts as a throttle. It technically moves a flap on the external part of the jet to swap from forward to reverse. The jet prop is a direct drive from the motor. No gears at all. If i can make the throttle lever move anytime for any reason and not disable anything i will be happy. the forward thrust from the jet causes my boat to basically already be in a forward gear anytime the motor is running no matter where the shift/throttle lever is at. its not a prfect setup but thats just how it is.

It really isnt you as much as the innocent bystander that allways gets hurt when you redesign any safety feature on a motor.
I preciate the advice on #67 and sincerely understand what you are referring to on the safety deal. I'm gonna try removing or modifing that piece. I will let you know how it works out. The design with needing the high idle lever down is my whole problem. With where I'm running this boat there arent any bystanders. I'm normally running in bout 8 Inches of water in a pretty secluded part of the river. Most people are smarter than i am and fish where there is more water. THANKS!!!

Back