Logo

Omc 800

bayslayer

"I have a 1981 omc 800 series

"I have a 1981 omc 800 series OD inside the intermediate housing appears to be a milky colored lube, would that be water or is that the normal color of high viscosity lube? Also hear a whine and a clack at idle, not yet sure if clack is in the drive or not but the whine is! both in neutral and in gear would water intrusion case any of this. thank you for any input."

"all that's in the interme

"all that's in the intermediate is two tapered roller bearings and the shaft and a couple of seals. whine and clack hard to say. No, milky is not normal, it's water. If you pull the drain plug immediately after a run you'll see some entrained air which can look a bit milky, but if it's still white 5 minutes later, its probably h2o. ....the seals for the intermediate are changed from the rear - no need to pull the engine, just need the drive off, but if you change bearings, then you'll need to pull the engine to do the rolling torque procedure, so hopefully just a couple seals and you'll be back in business. But if just changing seals, reuse the bearings and shims that come out and try to keep the shims in good shape."

"Thanks Hystat for the info. I

"Thanks Hystat for the info. I will look into doing the INT houseing or haveing it done! been reading manuel, dose'nt seem so bad. I've got 1 more question(yeah right). I also noticed that the flapper in the starboard side OD exhaust port is cracked and flimsey, I feel that water will back into motor while comeing off plane or backing down, instead of tearing the whole thing apart, thought about through hull exhaust. If I was to do this is there a certain pitch needed from riser to through hull fitting. Are thier any other baffles etc... that I may need. Thanx again and have a good Easter Sunday."

"I know nothing about thru hul

"I know nothing about thru hull exhaust. Luckily it's illegal where I boat. If your 800 has selectrim, remember the engine and exh tips up and down for trim....Those flappers are only $20 or something, but def. labour intensive to change - need to split the intermediate- silly design"

Back