Logo

OMC 800 Hydro-mechanical Question

SaberDyne

Hey guys.

I have an '82 hydro mechanical drive. Some how when removing the drive, it was shifted into gear and I believe it is reverse. . I know this because as I spin the prop the drive shaft spins and same as the other way around.

Originally there was an issue with the previous owner that said reverse was extremely weak and I wanted to check the shift cable. I have to do an impeller anyway, so I pulled the shift cap of. With the shift cap off, the cable moves very smoothly and looks practically brand new. I can see the pump at the back of the drive and the screen looks nice and shiny and is copper colored. So far, everything inside the drive looks great. The oil inside was green in color and has been sitting for about a week in a clear bucket with no separation. However, I can't get the drive to shift back into neutral so that I can put the shift cap back on. Is the plunger supposed to move without the oil pump spinning? When I go to re-assemble the drive, how many teeth am I supposed to have sticking up above the cap mount?

I'd really like to get this drive back together so any help ya'll can offer would be great. I appreciate it and thanks in advance.

Back