Logo

OMC 1983 400 Stringer New Pump Not Pumping

flockshot

1983 OMC Stringer 400 new raw water pump isn't drawing water to intermediate housing.
I put on muffs and took the hose that runs from the intermediate housing to the thurmistat housing off at the thermistat and no water. I also submerged lower unit in a large tote of water and no water is being delivered to engine. I hooked a garden hose to the 'flushing adaptor' on the starbord pivot cover plate and water does come out the water inlet holes in the lower unit, so the passage is not blocked.
I installed the impeller into the new housing with a counter clockwise movement (same as old one). I used sealers and lubes as described in the three manuals I have (Climers, Seloc, OMC).
I am posting this on 3 websites looking for some knowledge. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Re: OMC 400 Stringer New Pump Not Pumping

you installed the key on the impeller? You sealed it good with permetex?

You have no water peeing on the ball gears?

The drive is fully down when running ?

I installed a new key in the impeller. I did seal the wear plate (both sides) and the bolt threads and heads with Permatex 2.
The drive is fully down.
Water IS peeing on the ball gears.

water peeing on the ball gears means you have water as far as the hose inside the transom.

So with water going to the drive and the drive fully down remove the hose at the t-stat housing that comes in from the transom, hold it straight up and start the boat.

You should have 12-15 inchs shooting up, 3-4 seconds quick shut off the motor,

Soo say you have good water to the t-stat then the blockage is the t-stat or after.

Open the t-stat housing, the t-stat frozen closed, bad ? For now you can leave out the t-stat close up the housing or install a new t-stat.

Run the boat, still doing it then the blockage is down the line. Riser, or flapper can be have fallen down and is blocking the exhaust.

Post after you do the water hose test. The old impeller was in one piece then it's not pieces blocking the hose that comes in from the transom.

If it was not in one piece then you have to remove the hose off the transom and see if it's clogged with pieces and keep moving down stream till you find all the pieces and it could be blocking up the t-stat or the housing.

i got to leave you do know the outside of the pump that meets the drive was supposed to be smeared with the permetex plus the the middle of the water pump half's ?

I made a mistake in my reply post.

The water is only peeing on the ball gears with a garden hose hooked to the 'flushing adaptor' on the pivot cover plate. There is NO water peeing on the gears while using the muffs or a submerged lower unit.

When I run the enging with muffs, or submerged, there is NO water peeing in the gears. Also, with the engine running there is no water reaching the hose inside the boat at the thurmistat housing or when I remove the 'hose fitting' on the pivot cap there is no water.

Sorry for my misstatement.

i got to leave you do know the outside of the pump that meets the drive was supposed to be smeared with the permetex plus the the middle of the water pump half's ?

You kind of lost me here, but I did seal both sides (outer edges) of the Impeller cover plate and the 4 bolts on both the threads and bolt heads.

Did I miss something?

the whole water pump kit before you pushed it up the hole in the upper housing did you smear the permetex on the outside of the pump

Ok i understand with the ear muffs you got no water peeing on the gears.

When running could you engage the gears and the prop turned.

See here is where we are now, i think your coupler went.

You installed the water pump correctly, the key is used inside the actual impeller.

The 2 shaft splines are good?

Put the key in your pocket put the throttle in forward, With the drive fully down, can you move the prop?

If the prop moves while in gear, then you must turn the prop and see if the ball gear moves if they don't move and the prop moves then the shafts are stripped.

If the prop moves and the ball gears move the coupler went.

Do test post back i'm in for most of the night raining here.

PROBLEM SOLVED

It turned out to be a I.O. problem (idiot operator). I wasn't using enough water to prime the pump. With the muffs on the motor I wasn't using enough water pressure to prime the pump and the tub I was using wasn't deep enough to prime it either. The moral of the story is, if you want to check your water pump, put the boat in the lake.

Thanks, so much for taking your time to help me figure this thing out. I now know how to check for many things that I did not before. I really did not want to take that thing all apart again (at least not right now).

A special thanks to you Chief.

Your welcome i got your pm for some reason i can't send pm's this computer stuff i am a pure amature. My wife is the national recognized expert.

Anyway my e-mail is [email protected] anytime you need help it's my pleasure to help. put stringer question in the subject line so i don't delete it.

You would not believe the amount of e-mail i get from people around the world that need help with the stringer.

Be aware that no matter how many times you rebuild the upper you might have water in the oil. if this happens to you then just change the upper oil every third time you come off the water

Good luck.

I have a similar problem that I believe I have narrowed down to the 1971 Stringer outdrive:
I have good FLOW through to my intermediate housing, but no PRESSURE. When at any planing speed, my engine temp climbs, and water flow goes primarily to the left manifold. Removing the inlet hoses and blocking them shows that the flow is EASILY stopped- no spray at all. The manifolds, engine water pump and T-stat are all new. I am planning on removing and inspecting the outdrive, but would love to know what I am looking for.

Most of the threads I have read where the engine overheats at planning speeds, it turns out to be the impeller. It pumps enough for low speeds but when the engine starts working and generating more heat there isn't enough water there to do the job.

Back