Logo

Older Johnson seahorse 5 1/2hp

Tyler1993

I have an older Johnson sea horse 5-1/2hp outboard I baught today. It sat in a garage for 3 years and the gentleman said it ran when stored, but have a lot of resistance trying to pull the cord. I pulled the plugs and noticed the cylinders were gummed up and plugs had quite a bit of carbon on them, so I kept them out and tried again but still only got a bit easier to pull. And once again still has resistance. Any thoughts or advice on fixing? It would be extremely helpful. Or did I buy a boat anchor instead of a motor

Well Tyler - I had the same motor and had the same issue. It started with powerhead being fully seized up. So I sprayed penetrant and let her sit and then slowly moved it back and forth. Thing was, I got it loosened but there was still strange resistance. Then not...turns out that the lower unit was seized and I broke the shaft extension thinking I was trying to break head loose. Moral of the story...take your LU off to see if it gets easier.

Well Tyler - I had the same motor and had the same issue. It started with powerhead being fully seized up. So I sprayed penetrant and let her sit and then slowly moved it back and forth. Thing was, I got it loosened but there was still strange resistance. Then not...turns out that the lower unit was seized and I broke the shaft extension thinking I was trying to break head loose. Moral of the story...take your LU off to see if it gets easier.
Is it still hard to pour even afterwards?

Back