Logo

Older 70 HP Mercury will not go full speed.

justinsura

first and foremost thanks for looking. here is what happened. Last time on the boat last year took my boat out to one of the better size lakes around ( Lake Delavan, WI ) The water was really choppy on this day but we went out any ways. boat was running fine for about the first 20 min. After going through some fairly decent size waves the boat wouldn't go faster then about 5 mph. Now when you hook the boat up to a hose with no load on it sounds like it should as soon as you apply the throttle on the water just crawls.

I had a guy come and take a look at it. He did a spark text and a compression test both came back fine. There was some junk on the spark plugs so we cleaned those thoroughly, also we blew out the fuel filter and cleared those hoses. This is when he noticed there was some damage to the piston and its a jugged motor. He said 100 percent positive this was my issue. So bummed out that basically this motor is shot I asked if it would do any harm to take it out seeing we met him at the lake. We ended up taking the boat out on the lake and to our surprise it ran like a champ. started on every turn of the key and full throttle felt like full throttle. So we thought all was good and it was for 3 more trips out and this last time just a little wave made it go right back to what it was before.

can anyone lend some advice I can supply pics of what ever you need. Im lost and don't want to spend 100 per hour getting diagnosed. the lower unit is completely brand new. replaced that first this year to ensure that wasn't it. New prop and new fuel lines as well.

thanks
justin sura

When it screws up, you need to do a WOT plug check to see if a coil is dying on you. I suspect that's the problem, but it could also be the high speed coil in the stator.

Jeff

Back