Logo

Old gas

capemaydiamond

Contributing Member
i bought a boat that sat for a

i bought a boat that sat for about 7 years and the fuel in the tank is at least that old.i have heard different opinions from people like add octane booster and stabil to refresh it or remove it and start with fresh gas and have the tank cleaned. i have replaced the motors with new ones and i am just about ready to fire one of them up in the spring but i am torn about what to do about the fuel situation during the winter. the tank is full with 260 gallons and i am sure if i were to have that pumped out it would cost a fortune. any help with this would be great. thanks

Don't know where your boat

Don't know where your boat is but there are asphalt companies that will take it at no charge. They use it to fire their heaters. Your engine is not a good disposal system.

Chuck Hanson

i am in cape may nj at utsch&#

i am in cape may nj at utsch's marina if you can put me in contact with one of those companies that would be great. i am not worried about the price of replacing the gas just the price of getting rid of it.

"Andy:

I think Rick (Li

"Andy:

I think Rick (LineSix Services) is up there in NJ - maybe a bit further up, but still relatively close. He posts frequently here and may be able to provide some "local knowledge".

I sure wouldn't use fuel that old on anything new. If you have to, you could pull it out 10 gallons at a time and take it to an appropriate facility. Got to be cheaper taking it than for someone to come get it."

"Also try giving a commercial

"Also try giving a commercial laundy or dry cleaner a call. A few years ago they pumped out a water contaminated tank for me for about $11.
Yor only other solution would be get a sample and see if it will run in something that has easy acces to the tank and is not terribly expensive (like an old lawnmower). If it runs, buy a bigger yard.
I wouldn't run it through a new engine though."

"Seven year old gas is going t

"Seven year old gas is going to be dead gas, (3 month shelf life unstabilized, and 12 months stabilized. It is not worth jeopardizing new engines and gumming up your fuel system trying to burn it, and you surely don't want to mix ethanol with it. I had my tanks pumped earlier this year, and the fuel filtered and returned to my tanks -- gas wasn't old, but I was afraid I had water intrusion -- and it cost me $400.00. I'm in the Baltimore area, and the company is called Clean Fuels. It might be less expensive to just have the old gas removed, than it was to have it filtered, as that process required 45 minutes per tank. A word of caution, however, not that there is a choice; in order to pump the fuel, you must have direct access to your tanks' fuel fill(not the deck fill) or sender unit hole . In my case, as my 3807 has tanks parallel to the hull sides under the salon, outboard of the engines, I had to use a hole saw to remove about a 3 1/2 inch hole at the edge of the cabin sole on each side over the tanks, for access. I covered those holes with flat plates so that I would have access in the future if needed."

Back