Logo

Old Coils Johnson 1R70R

Edchris177

Regular Contributor
Perusing the ads last evening I came across a little 1.5HP johnson. List price $25. Got hold of the vendor, settled on $20, (that’s $15 USD).
I asked if was a project he’d abandoned, & was told it had been his father-in-laws, & hadn’t been started in over 20 years. He’d had it sitting in his garage since the old boy passed on, & was selling it as is, he thought it ran last time, but had no idea if it had been fogged or put away properly.
I thought what the hell, for $20, I’ve wasted way more money on useless items.
It was pretty dusty, but didn’t look abused, so I took it home, squirted some fogging oil into the jug, 3 pulls on a cord around the flywheel, (no recoil on these), gave 100psi, but zero spark.
Pulled flywheel…1970 coil is toast, (I know Racer has what I need). Gas tank was clean inside, timing plate looks clean, & the carb looks pretty clean.
Im not sure what I’ll do with a whole screaming 1.5HP, maybe I’ll get a square stern canoe & do some boat camping.
Can anyone tell me the settings for the Hi & LO speed needles? I’ll clean out the passages, & need to get a new bowl gasket. I couldnt blow through the fuel supply line with the carb inverted, I think I’ll just clean out the passageS, put a new coil in & see if she’ll run. if it does I’ll get a new impeller.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    530.8 KB · Views: 8
To get the motor running and keep running before final adjustment use the following.-----High speed is always out 3/4 turn and low speed 1-1/2 turns for carburetors with that bowl.----Used from 54 to 1980's model from 1-1/2 to 20 HP.

Thanks, I’ll have to come out & pickup a new coil. My brother picked up that 6hp for me, I won’t see it til Tuesday…I might need 3 coils!
Also

Back