Logo

Old 225 omc engineautomotive head interchange Automotive engine swap

bbiggs

"Just traded for an old Hurric

"Just traded for an old Hurricane deckboat.

Engine got hot and cracked the heads. Guy installed (I believe)231 buick heads but said the valve train didn't oil so he tore it back down and got tired of messing with it.

He said the 231 oiled thru the pushrods and the boat had solid lifters and oils differently, he doesn't have the old heads.

Is this true? is there a way to modify the heads?

Even better yet, is there an fairly available automotive engine that is pretty much a direct swap, (bellhousing , mounts, water manifolds fit.) and if so how about flywheel,

Search on the internet seems to indicate that a GM 3800 might work (in a jeep) but how about in an OMC and if so how about flywheel,(newer evenfire)"

"If a big if you can get your

"If a big if you can get your hands on a 4.3 would be better in the long run with vortec heads. You would just have to install marine mani's and risers 4-500 on many websites.

You will need brass casting plugs 20 bucks tops and marine gaskets, that will come in the kit with the mani's and risers.

Maybe out of a van. Saw 4-5 in the junkyard by me out of low milage vans in accidents. Won't have to touch the cams or internals at all. Oh yes a marine dist. and starter, alternator."

I believe the bell housing pat

I believe the bell housing pattern on a 4.3 is like a chevy v-8 and won't fit the buick pattern but could be wrong.
We have a "pick-and-pull" here and I can get an engine for $150

Back