Logo

old 15hp johnson

nmaineron

New here and 1st post.I'm the fixit guy in the family and I have a 15 horse Johnson #J15EENM.I have never heard or seen it run and was told that it was a rope start only.It has the cableing for electric and has a starter,I don't see a button or a solenoid.It seems to be in great shape,I doubt that it has many hours on it and I would like to get it running.Of course I have no manual but I would be broke if I bought a manual for everything that crossed my bench.Can anyone help me with this?Thanks,Ron

Does it have a tiller or was it set-up remotely if a tiller the starter button should be on the starboard side of the steering bracket it is only a pushbutton. Those motors do not use solenoids It has a heavy duty push button wired directly to the battery. If it was set-up remotely with a key there should be a control box somewhere with a solenoid in it. The tiller model uses a heavy duty neutral safety switch also.

Last edited:
Thanks,It has a tiller and there is a spot just inside the arm on the casing that looks like it should hold a button but has a plug in it.I have attached it to power to see if I could get it to fire but no action from the starter.Is there a need for the battery cabling if the startr isn't needed.

Thanks fdrgator,I got a chance to look at it this morning.There is a button in that space and the cabling goes in there so I think we hit a home run.I will have to put power back on it and see what I can get.

OMC's code to engine ID is the word INTRODUCES whereas each letter stands for a number. The "EN" within that model number indicates your engine is a 1992 15hp Johnson.

J15EENM

J == Johnson
15 = Horsepower
E == Electric start
E == 9
N == 2
M == Factory run number (Of no consequence)

I got everything to go today...makes a dif when things were in neutral...took abit to get it to fire but it runs pretty good...in my repairs I took the knob off from the low speed needle when I took things apart and of course didn't note what the position of the dial was at...I brought it out 1 turn and put the knob back on and it ran pretty good but what is the base line for that needle?

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back