Logo

ok - what did i break?

Gkevinr

had a little issue and my motor hit the pavement. I know i broke the top cowl support. But i also broke a bracket associated with the top side of the starter. I need an official part name or number to replace it - i just dont know what to call it.

Motor is a 1980 mariner 115 ELPT.

Thanks for the help :)

Attachments

• brokenpart.jpg
    brokenpart.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 65
What a mess....you mean that thing runs? Probably got one here but I'd never find it. Just look up the part right here on the outboard parts engine diagrams.

I would suggest finding a good aluminum welder. It won't be pretty but will hold.
Bear in mind,not every welder can weld aluminum,it's a trade on its' own

Called a " cover " for starter .-----Should not be hard to find those pieces for an inline 6 cylinder.------Your location ?

Last edited:
Should not be hard to find those pieces for an inline 6 cylinder.------Your location ?----Part # 86473 ( cover ) but listed as NLA.-----E-bay and many shops will have that used !!

Thanks to all who replied. I was concerned I broke something on the block vs a removable part. I found that part # on ebay and ordered a cap/cover set.

Motor doesn't look like much and may or may not run. Bought it a few days ago for $60 - something to play with or part out.

If you get it to spin over, first make sure no dirt in carbs...put a vacuum cleaner on each carb to suck out any dust or dirt. Next remove all spark plugs and check for rust. Next mix up a little gas and 2 stroke oil at about 24:1. Squirt some in each cylinder....about 10ml. Turn over a little bit to pre lube and juice up those dry cylinders. Set motor on floor, face up, and put same amount in each carb and spin a little bit. Making sure plug wires will not arc to something and cause a small fire. You have now done a preliminary lube and can perform your compression test. If you get some decent numbers....say between 115 and 130 psi, then do an arcing test on each plug wire....one at a time with spark plugs out and looking for a nice 7/16" or greater white/blue crackle....lightning like spark. Devise a simple gap tester using a little creativity. Simply said.....you could have a helper hold the handle of a #2 Phillips with the tip inside the plug boot and the shaft held approximately 1/2" from a metal object on the powerhead. Then.....if these things test out, you are onto a possible jewel of a motor. Check oil in lower unit.....if it is full or partially full, and clean, with no milky/cloudy appearance in color.....then the motor really has some hope. Before you intend to crank it over, make sure no wiring is cracked or shorting out. When it gets time to do a starting attempt, consult the forum for additional suggestions.....like a new water pump impeller.
Remember, Kevin, you are a click away from hundreds, if not thousands of years, of marine repair experience here.....and all for free.

Last edited:
Explain your accident: Did the engine fall on the floor on it's side; fall from some height on the skeg; fall down off the tilt pin onto the pavement while driving down the highway?

Just what is the "top cowl support"....the support holding the starter?

Explain your accident: Did the engine fall on the floor on it's side; fall from some height on the skeg; fall down off the tilt pin onto the pavement while driving down the highway?

Just what is the "top cowl support"....the support holding the starter?

Motor was in back of my truck with tailgate down. Wife need daughter to drive truck short distance but couldnt get the tailgate back up. told daughter to "drive really slow". Painted metal motor...slick bed liner...no chance that motor was staying put. Thankfully, motor came out on a back road with no one else in sight. Dropped about 3 feet. Hit on the corner area around the top of the starter. broke the top cowl support - the part that surrounds the flywheel. broke the upper starter clamp. best I can tell, that's it.

Found both on ebay.

Must be like my Minnesota truck.....needs 3 people to close the gate.....one on each side to push in the box sides....then 3rd man to slam the gate.

Back