Logo

OK Here we go oil RATIO

red_goat

Contributing Member
If I could set up a little vot

If I could set up a little vote or game here?
If I had 2 engines call them 50 hp evenrudes
The sticker says to time them at +19*
Lets say I timed them both at 19* with the starter and a timing light.
I hear that that is going to wind up being 23* wnen the engine is at full speed.
This is 4* too far advanced correct?
I think I am using a common mistake thing here as an example!
Now here is the real question!
If I use 50 to 1 in one engine with regular gas and 100 to 1 with high test gas in the other which engine would fail first?
Interesting? What say yee?

I'm thinking we will sell

I'm thinking we will sell more parts that sounds like a cocktail for disaster

or 100 to one synthetic n high test premixed pricey

"Our non-oxy here in MN runs b

"Our non-oxy here in MN runs between 89 and 92 octane......thats what they post on the pump. I try not to buy gas in Canada, but I think ethanol is more uncommon there. Storage life is very poor even with Stabil so resorts and camps don't like it."

"What we found back in our rac

"What we found back in our racing days was the engine at 100 to one would run longer, cleaner and have more power.
We ran them right on the edge with the timing and mixtures
At 50 to one 2% of your fuel has no octane so you only give the engine 87 octane if you started with 89
At 100 to one that changes to 1% which leaves you with 91 octane if you started with 92
Far more protection from detonation and still lots enough oil for lubrication."

"Back in the 60s and 70s most

"Back in the 60s and 70s most 2 stroke engines called for 25 to one because the oil was just ordinary oil with an additive to help it stay mixed.
Those old engines will run just fine, well actually far better on the higher ratios of todays far superior oils."

I'll take 50 to 1. New 2

I'll take 50 to 1. New 2 stroke engines run 100 to 1 at lower rpms and 50 to 1 wide open. I wouldn't run 100 to 1 wide open with any fuel. And by the way all the US boaters up here in canuck land prefer our fuel. We don't see the same amount of issues with ethonol and our fuel is apparently more refined than down south.

"I agree, Rollie, the Canada f

"I agree, Rollie, the Canada fuel is better but WOW! Expensive too. I bring across what I can in non-oxy. I have some Canadian fuel in my 1100 litre storage tank at our camp that is still excellent. It is 15 years old.....I'm not kidding you! I run 2oz per gallon Amsoil pre mix now called Scepter oil in all my motors and chain saws without one failure since Amsoil came out with it in 1977. I throw in an extra oz. (or 3oz per gallon) for the vintage or pre 60's motors. I still run my 1969 Olympic 16 hp up to camp in the winter or early spring. It has many upgrades but motor is original with thousands of miles towing a heavily loaded sled @ 64:1 ratio with Amsoil. Top that.......I doubt it. In my experience, however not racing but hard work.....Amsoil is what I know and trust. I run on bare ice in spring with the bogies while others burn up their slides and overheat motors trying to find water and snow. Amsoil performs perfectly even at elevated temps for the air cooled engine, even with daytime temps near 20 degrees centigrade. That has been the ultimate test for me over time. This Rotax has never failed me. Air cooling is more demanding than anything."

Back