Logo

Oil Specifications and equivalents

the_tassie_devil

Regular Contributor
"G'day All,

I am re-ass

"G'day All,

I am re-assembling my Stern Drive, and the Manual calls for special stuff like OMC Triple Guard Grease and other OMC Oils and lubricants to fill the various cavities containing Bearings and Gears.

As I don't have an OMC Dealer here in my neck of the woods, what Automotive equivalents can I use to substitute.

I have Pennzoil, Valvoline, and other Lubricants including Differential Oils for Standard and LSD Diffs on my shelves that I use a lot of times on High Performance Road-going vehicles and as the insides of the cases don't see water, some may do.

Please advise me of just what would be the equivalents to the below:-

(1) OMC Anti-Corrosion Lubricant
(2) OMC Triple-Guard Grease
(3) OMC HI-VIS Gearcase Lubricant

Thanks,

Bruce."

"(1) whatever oil, gre

"(1) whatever oil, grease or antiseize compound you have laying around
(2) grease that says NLGI 2 on it and also says Hydro-activated is best
(3) not sure what pennzoil or valvoline have - I doubt anything compatible- you need something that says "OMC type C" for your electric shift lower unit- don't substitute anything else. Here in Canada, the megahardwarestore chain called Canadian Tire has a store brand Type C in the fishing tackle section... I would think there's probably something similar down there. (don't suppose you have 2 section wallets like us, with one side stuffed with Australian Tire Money?)
For your upper and intermediate, you can use any 80W90 gear oil for an outboard or sterndrive"

What Hy said. The tilt clutch

What Hy said. The tilt clutch housing you can pack with grease.

The lower demands that " c " cant get around that.

Motor oil straight 30 weight. I know you didn't ask.

"Thank you Hy Stat and Chiefal

"Thank you Hy Stat and Chiefalen.

The Upper units will get the "Good" Pennziol LSD Fluid that I have in stock, and I will attend my local Marine Shop for the Type "C" Stuff.

Plus I have lots of Loctite Anti-seize and other fancy lubricants, sealing compounds and greases

Bruce.

PS. I was going to use the straight 30 Motor Oil for the up and down spinning thingy as it is being rebuilt.
wink.gif

PPS. Trying to get Oils from overseas would mean that I wouldn't get this boat into the water till after I karked it. Can't post, as it is inflamable."

"<< Here in Canada, &

"<< Here in Canada, >>

Hy Stat, I thought you were in the USA. What area of Canada are you in? SW Ontario, by chance? I know you've said you have OMC Parts, so......... I'm near London, Ontario.
BTW... I'm now seeing old OMC drive bellows for sale on E-Bay.The 16 holers."

Peterborough area.... where th

Peterborough area.... where the stringer drives were all built.
I don't really have too many parts anymore.

Back