Logo

Oil question

jlandon

"One of my friends builds drag

"One of my friends builds drag cars and there engines just a overall gear head. He told me that I should use this oil from bradpennracing.com in my 318 because the engine is going to be working hard. He said the reason was it was loaded up with zinc. So I want some opinions on this does he know what he is talking about or is he just blowing smoke thanks Jason. http://bradpennracing.com/Products/High-Performance/SAE-30.aspx"

""Loaded up with zinc"

""Loaded up with zinc"? He may love his oil, but his knowledge is questionable.

Jeff"

"15 w 40 Diesel engine oil is

"15 w 40 Diesel engine oil is all you need, friend of mine runs Royal Purple race oil..my 35 yr old original 318's have better oil pressure than his just rebuilt rebuilt 454."

"Excellent choice. I run Shel

"Excellent choice. I run Shell Rotella diesel oil in mine--15W40. I would prefer 10W30, but that's all they make. Not necessary (or desirable) to run more viscosity than you need to get the required oil pressure--that just wears out the distributor gearing sooner.

Jeff"

"Thanks guys, so just regular

"Thanks guys, so just regular diesel engine oil that makes life easier. I new he was blowin smoke he is one of those genuine know-it-alls"

I think your friend gave you g

I think your friend gave you good advice. Zinc is what you want regardless what oil you use. Off the shelf diesel oils are sufficient for now however newer emission friendly engines being put in trucks the last couple years don't require the same zinc levels in them the same way modern gas engines don't need it so it's only a matter of time before you will have to use a specialty oil like what he recommended or add your own zinc additive. Their web site has a lot of good info actually....Jack

Back