Logo

oil problems

shellyrob

i have a 15hp mariner and i mix 50:1 using the cheap walmart oil. the motor smokes alot and fouls the plugs constantly. it runs great at high end but dies after a few minutes on idle. then i have to wait about ten minutes to start it again. am i using to much oil or is the cheap oil breaking down. the motor left me strnded last night and i had to row most of the way home. i like the motor but am starting to not trust it. anyone got an answer for me?

It is foolish to use " cheap oil "----------Is the motor equipped with a thermostat and is the motor warming up properly ?-------You may have a leaking fuel pump or a leaking float valve in the carburetor.------------Does the manual fuel pump go hard when you try and start the motor ??

Last edited:
yes it was foolish to use cheap oil, wont happen again. ball gets hard when pumped to start it but is soft when motor dies on idle.this usualy happens after the motor has warmed. i will run and stop to fish and it will idle for about 5 min. and die. no thermostat, and everything looks dry on the carb. do you think i should flush the tank and start over with fresh gas and good oil?

Last edited:
Back