Logo

oil pressure / temp on a 74 evinrude 115hp

Gkevinr

I have a 74 evinrude model 115493b. Does it have (need) and oil pressure sensor that needs to be monitored by a gauge in the front? Does it have (need) a water temp sensor that needs to be monitored by a gauge in the front?

Thanks all.

??----The motor is a 2 stroke engine.----The lubricating oil is mixed with the gas at a 50:1 ratio. -------It has an overheat warning horn in the control box.-----I am going to be blunt here as usual.------Best to get an owners manual and read it twice before you launch the boat.-----Or get a friend / boat owner to give you some tips.----If you just bought the boat you need to install a water pump repair kit.

thanks for the response. I understand the 2 stroke mixes oil in gas. something else I read and a parts list for this motor mentioned an oil pump that used pressure to activate another part of the motor, hence the question. was possibly related to the lower unit but it was unclear. i have the owners manual and have read it. this is not covered. I also tried to find answers online in this and a couple other forums with no success.

Already installed a brand new water pump kit, replaced cracked fuel lines, put in a new fuel pump, changed spark plugs out and compression tested. 120 on all 4 cylinders. Runs like a champ.

I believe you are thinking there is an oil pump in the lower unit. I do not believe your motor has that as it is a mechanical shift. You need to make sure you have clean 80w90 in there. If I am wrong racer can correct me he knows more about those than I do.

flyingscott------The 74 models had what is called '--POWERSHIFT "---by Johnson.-----Control box for Evinrude said " POWER PILOT "-----These lower units do use an oil pump to provide oil pressure to a servo-valve to make for a power assisted shifting.-----These are NOT electric shift but they do use an oil pump.----They can be shifted when motor is not running.---They shift easier when the motor is running.----And that oil pump does not need any gauges.----It is a wonderful / reliable unit.----If water gets into these lower units they need a seal kit.

Back