Logo

Oil Pan Capacity

Dozer

Hi All,
I am new to boating and a novice mechanic. I have a 350 small block (i/o). Did and oil and filter change this weekend (boat on trailer). To my surprise I added 10 quarts of oil and the level is still not reading on the dip stick. I find this crazy, but being new to the boating world perhaps not? Can the oil pan be large enough to hold 10+ quarts of oil? Should I keep adding and just go by the dip stick reading?
I'm at a loss here
thanks in advance

a normal small block will take around 5 to 5 1/2 depending on the filter and is a remote oil filter is uded.
Works better when you put the drain plug back in

I just bought the boat so I can only assume it is. I checked the oil prior to starting it when I bought it and the level was fine on the dip stick. Unfortunately I didn't measure how much oil i pulled out. Do you know if there are any standards that say how long the dip stick should be on a small block?

Thats what I was thinking, however the guy at autozone (when I went back for more oil) told me he comes from the Fl Keys and has been around boats his entire life and claims he has seen as much as 10 quarts in speed boats because of the way they sit in the water???

Ayuh,.... Yer oil pan should hold 4 quarts, 'n another for the filter,...

I'm guessin' the dipstick is the problem,...

Actually its closer to 10 to 15 in race boats BECAUSE at the rpm they run they have really deep oil pans to hold that much

Thanks, I guess I should have mentioned that its a 1987 baja 220. Not exactly a race boat but not a pontoon either...Does that make more sense to you BT Doctur

Also could it be the way the boat is sitting on the trailer? I'm thinking I should have the bow raised a bit higher to simulate the boat sitting in water? Just thinking out loud

Back