Logo

Oil mixed with water in bilge-1990 FWC 454 Crusaders

nightstalker

Regular Contributor
Went down to the boat to begin dewinterization for the new season. Had some oil mixed with water in the bilge. Vessel has been on the hard, shrink wrapped, since October. I don't run the vessel a whole lot every season, but have to clean oil out of the bilge two or three times every year. I've checked as best I can but can't see where either engine is leaking from. It's very tight trying to crawl around down there. I'm not surprised that engines over 20 years old leak oil. I know that I cleaned up all the oil in the bilge after winterizing the engines last Fall. Any thoughts, ideas, etc.?
Nightstalker

Don't they make a dye that you can put in the oil so useing a uv light you can find the leak? If I remember right it is used for situations like yours.

So, oil leaking WITHOUT it being run?? Are we talking drops from a rear seal or a cup or more? The pan has at least one fitting at the bottom, likely both a plug and a dipstick 90 deg fitting. They are suspect. Beyond that, maybe a oil hose connection to the filter. I have the dye, but don't usually need to use it.

FWIW...towards the end of last season, the 't' - fitting on the bottom of my oil pan connected to the dip stick failed and drained the entire oil pan into my bilge. At first, I was losing oil here and there, but was uncertain where it was going. Then one day after sitting in her slip for a week, I pulled the dip-stick to to find no oil. Fitting appears to be lighter gauge than the dip stick tube, was severly corroded and compromised. Replaced with a barbed fitting and rubber hose. Simple procedure, but nearly impossible to access and reach.

1995 Crusader 454XL

So, oil leaking WITHOUT it being run?? Are we talking drops from a rear seal or a cup or more? The pan has at least one fitting at the bottom, likely both a plug and a dipstick 90 deg fitting. They are suspect. Beyond that, maybe a oil hose connection to the filter. I have the dye, but don't usually need to use it.[/QUOTE
It seems to be about a half a cup of oil every two months or so.
Nightstalker

FWIW...towards the end of last season, the 't' - fitting on the bottom of my oil pan connected to the dip stick failed and drained the entire oil pan into my bilge. At first, I was losing oil here and there, but was uncertain where it was going. Then one day after sitting in her slip for a week, I pulled the dip-stick to to find no oil. Fitting appears to be lighter gauge than the dip stick tube, was severly corroded and compromised. Replaced with a barbed fitting and rubber hose. Simple procedure, but nearly impossible to access and reach.

1995 Crusader 454XL

Where is the 't" fitting? On the bottom of the oil pan?. Is it at the bottom of the dip stick tube?
Nightstalker

It's a "L" fitting. pipe thread on one side and a flared tubing fitting on the other. I actually have a spare of one of these.

Back