Logo

Oil looked like jelly in oil filter???? 2001 5.0

Cggx205

I just changed my oil in 2001 Volvo Penta 5.0 G/L and the oil in the pan appeared normal but the oil in the filter looked like jelly. I stuck my finger into the filter and it felt much thicker almost like grease. Is there something wrong? Should I've changed the oil in the fall? Anyone?

Re: Oil looked like jelly in oil filter????

I'd do another oil change just to clean out the system. At least run the engine for a while and change the filter a couple of times. It is after all the life blood of the engine. Check the condition of the oil in the filter when you do and see how it goes.

hopefully it didn't sludge on ya. Run it through again and check the filter, could have been old oil sitting in it solidified, or engine sludge or ???. Watch your pressure gauge hopefully its just at the filter.

You might want to add a quart of tranny fluid to the crankcase and get it warm then change the oil. Tranny fluid has lots of cleaner in it, just don't run it for many outings before changing.

Alternative to transmission fluid would be a quart of Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil. Both of these products will shake loose any sludge or crud that has formed inside. You'll be amazed at how funky the oil looks after only a few hours run time. Change the oil and filter after about 5 hours and then monitor the new oil/filter scrupulously thereafter.

Just for your benefit...you should be doing minimum two oil changes per year. One in the spring at commissioning and another at winterization. The thing is, acids and other destructive elements build up in the oil and leaving the oil sitting over the winter allows these chemicals to go to work on your engine. Store it with clean oil and change it again in spring. A mid season change wouldn't hurt either. Marine engines are always running "uphill" and experience far more wear and tear than car motors. Do not treat your marine engine like a car engine.

Bottom line is that the oil is a cheap way to maintain engine health. Putting in expensive oil and not changing it often is false economy.

Last edited:

Did you change the oil or oil filter yet? How did it look?

I think I have a theory. I attempted to start the motor at the beginning of the season before I changed the oil and it wouldn't start. I cranked it over a fair amount and I wasn't getting spark. Finally the motor started without finding the problem and I ran it for an hour and then changed the oil and the oil looked a little jellied in the oil filter. Maybe gas mixing with the oil??? So after the oil change the motor wouldn't start again (bad ignition module). I finally got it running and I changed the oil a second time and saw some of the same issues in the oil filter to a much lesser extent. Now it's running and in the water and I used the VP fully synsetic 30 weight. I've been checking the oil constantly and starring at the pressure gauge and everything looks fine. May do another oil and filter change after a few weeks.

Back