Logo

Oil leaking from bottom carb of 2005 - 115 2 + 2

wag21

I continue to have oil collect in the splash well of my 2005 Mercury 115 2 + 2 when the motor is tilted up. A lesser amount collects when it is tilted less.

I have been searching to see if others have identified a fix for this. Any help would be appreciated.

I am considering running the oil supply hose through the lower engine shroud then back into the lower engine shroud near the fuel line and connecting it back up to the oil pump. In the line, outside of the motor housing, I would install a small shut off valve. This way, I could turn the valve off which would prevent the flow of oil when the motor is tilted up without having to remove the engine hood / cover. Any thoughts if this would work, or, do any harm?

Thanks

Do not modify the oil injection in any way. The oil in the bottom of the pan is normal after tilting the motor up. What you are seeing is oil left after the fuel evaporates. Check the air box gasket it is probably leaking out of there.

Thanks Flyingscott - I will check my gasket and order a new one just in case. However, I am getting a fair amount of oil in the splash well when the boat sits on the trailer with the motor tilted up. In fact, sometimes so much collects, it goes through the splashwell / transom drain holes and is running down the outside of the transom.

That is normal the carbs will drain out when tilted. You could have a hose off of the airbox or a bad gasket.

Replaced the gasket. Doesn't seem to be the issue. With the boat sitting for about 1.5 - 2 weeks and the motor tilted up, and the reservoir about half filled, I lost about 1 quart of 2 stroke oil additive.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Back