Logo

Oil Leak at Flywheel Housing on AQ140c

yerg

I have a slight but steady oil leak at the rear of my AQ140c. There is a hole at the bottom of the flange of what I think is called the Flywheel Housing and it always seems to have a trail of oil that drips into the bilge under the bilge pump. I thought I was missing a fastener but I wasn't able to screw one in and so I think the hole is there for another reason. I am collecting 1/2 to 1 ounce of oil a day. Is there a chance it's caused by an overfill of engine oil, or is there a sela that has gone bad? I have attached a couple of pictures that show the area I'm trying to describe. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• 082710 004.jpg
    082710 004.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 082710 006.jpg
    082710 006.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 72
That's what I've been afraid of. I don't see anyway other then pulling off the outdrive and working through the opening in the transom to repair it.

Well, I just ordered the Volvo Service manual to use as my guide to replace the rear seal.
I'm not sure what I'm getting myself in for, but I will start taking the outdrive of the transom next week. I have always suspected that the transom bolts were leaking water and now I'll have an opportunity to inspect them more carefully.

I've been pouring through the archives of this site and another. It was suggested on the other site that the leak could be the result of the seal in the upper gearcase of the outdrive. This was an easy removal on my 280 so I took it off and the u-joint bellows was full of oil. Am I safe to assume that the oil collecting in bilge under the engine was all leaking through from the outdrive through to the flywheel housing and down through that little hole that I took a picture of? I'm starting to feel a certain amount of relief at the prospect of bringing the upper gearbox in for service then trying to get my engine out.

Back