Logo

Oil Injection on an '87 Mariner 40 hp

Charlie C

Hi guys! I have a couple of questions on a 1987 Mariner 40 HP outboard. After some health issues about 5 years ago, my boat was parked in my (heated) garage and hasn't been touched since. I'm guessing the total hours on the motor are around 150-200.

I'd like to dust the cobwebs off this thing and get it back in the water, but I have a couple of concerns.

This model used a seperate oil injection unit to mix oil & gas. Mine has never been rebuilt, but I never had any problems with it. Should I, or can I for that matter, get a rebuild kit for it, or would I be better off ditching the unit and just mixing oil and gas myself? If the latter is better, what should the mixture be?

Next question: The gas (not mixed) in the tank and lines have been in there for that whole 5 years, so I'm concerned about varnishing. Is there a fuel additive that will strip the varnish from the system, or is something more extensive required?

And finally, the generic question: Is there anything else I should do or know before I try to fire this puppy up?

Thanks guys; any help is greatly appreciated.

--Charlie C

Last edited:
New waterpump impeller for sure !!--------------------If it is an AUTO BLEND SYSTEM ( seperate tank with mixing unit on the side ) -----then throw it away as far as you can. -----------Then mix at 50:1.-----------------Carburetors must be dismantled in order to do a proper cleaning job.

Thanks for the reply Racerone. There's something you should know about me.... I'm whatcha call, mechanically challenged ;o>. Put a screwdriver in my hand and I'm an accident looking for a place to happen.

Keeping that in mind, I wouldn't attempt to tinker with the carbs, and marine mechanics are about as scarce around here as an honest politician, so I'll still need a recommendation on a de-varnishing fuel additive. I know it isn't as good as a thorough cleaning, but at least it should run when I'm done ;o) .

How difficult is it to replace the impeller?

And yeah, it's an auto-blend system. Consider it thrown.

Thanks again.

--Charlie C

hi my mariner 40hp oil injector engine was going gerat when i went to start it this year it would not go .i have a spark on no 4 plug and nothing on the other 3 plugs .what would you suggest .could be wrong ? regards gerard.

Back