Logo

oil for new motor...

hippie

Regular Contributor
My brand new 350 long block was delivered today from Michigan Motorz. They recomend using 20W-40 weight oil. I was at 5 different places today and none carry that weight nor even know where to buy some. If I put another weight oil in the motor it can invalidate my warranty. So what chain store or where around Edgemere or Sparrows Point can I buy some. Thank you, Bob

25-40 is all over even in wal-mart. I would call them i think that is a misprint on there part.

You got me to respond to a oil thread hmmm

Run 20-50 napa standard oil for the first 100 hours.

After 100 hours go to 15-50 mobile one!

Change your oil every 100 hours or once a year which ever comes first.

Woa maybe the hippie don't mind spending that kind of money for synthetic, i never used it won't use it and will never use it.

Want a list of filters you can buy then the chit really hits the fan ?

There is no question on the benifits of full synthetic oil.

As far as cost..........

Some will pay $30,000.00 for a nice boat, car or even a high end motorcycle.

When it comes time to change the oil they question wether or not to spend $2-$3 dollars per quart more for a few quarts of high quality oil.

Wallmart has Mobil One on sale for $23.50 for 5 quart jug. Thats $4.70 per quart....

I have been running Mobile One full Synthetic motor oil in all my stuff since the day I purchased each one, Boat 15-50, Truck 10-30, Motorcycle, Vtwin 20-50.

A good filter costs $5-$8.....

So at that cost a oil change for a 350 ci will cost ~$32.00 for full synthetic with filter....

NOTHING COSTLY ABOUT THAT!

Just sayin...............

I have no problem with synthetic oil if thats what I need to get the proper viscosity and some good protection. But now you men say I need a special oil filter that costs about $8.00, no problem there. Please tell me what kind or type I need. Also on a new engine, do men recomend that I squirt some oil into each cylinder prior to startup? Thank you, Bob

you acquire any old GM V8 dist, grind/machine off the cam teeth, install in the new motor, spin shaft with a drill untill oil comes out all the rocker arms while turning the motors crankshaft occasionally.This removes ALL AIR POCKETS in the bearing areas.You must use a dist body not just a shaft to spin the oil pump.

"...you men say I need a special oil filter that costs about $8.00, no problem there. Please tell me what kind or type I need."

If it didn't come w/an oil filter call Michigan Motorz and ask them. It's a GM engine and should be able to use AC Delco oil filters which are of good quality.

If it didn't come w/a remote oil filter, install one. You'll be glad you did. It takes a different filter than one that attaches to the block.

2 things to ask them when you call, what oil filter, and weight of oil, ask them if they have 20w-40 in stock ?

They are slipping they used to give better service tell them i might stop recommending them if they don;t treat you right.

My buddy has a tool he puts into his drill motor and spins the oil pump. I was also told by an elderly mechanic that if you cut the handle off a screw driver it will function the same. I did not know about cranking the engine while spinning the oil pump. Yes, it came with an oil filter and a remote type setup. The way you men described the filter I thought it takes a different type filter when using synthetic oil. Also, I checked out a few places yesterday and none had 20W-40 oil. I guess I'll have to go with nonsynthetic oil in 20-50 weight. Also good idea filling the filter before putting it on.
I have a question though, torque settings....flywheel is 60 lbs. Intake is 30-35 lbs. and what should the coupler be torqued too? Thanks again men, Bob

"...good idea filling the filter before putting it on."

It's called priming the filter. Do it for cars/trucks also.

I am not sure if you have already ran the motor in or not. If you have not:

Please go buy a oil that is rated for a Diesel, like delo 400 15w-40 or the shell Rotella oil in 15w-40. It has more of the right properties that reg. car oils lack for "break-in"
Also go to a chain auto parts store and buy a "cam break-in additve" there are many venders that sell this they all do a good job like, Lucas.

If the motor was put toghter correctly you will have many years of use.

Change the oil after about 10hrs of use or after you go out for a weekend and beat it good.
Then you can switch to a synthetic oil.

Back