Logo

oil filter looking thing

markymarc350

Contributing Member
Can someone tell me what these thing do,its on the valve cover and has a hose that runs into the flame arrester on the other side of the PVC valve,almost looks like an oil filter.it seemed to catch some condinsation.also look original should I replace them and are they expencive? Thanks

Marc

On one cover, there should be a valve with a hose going to the carb throttle body, and on the other cover, there should just be a filler cap/little canister thing with a hose going to the flame arrestor. These make up part of the closed crankcase ventalation system. I don't think you should be getting condensation in there, at least not for long as long as your engine is getting up to proper operating temp. That should burn off condensation if the engine is run for extended periods.

Jeff..thanks for all your replys,they have been very usefull,lets face it,in today's lazy world you've done quite a bit of typing on my behafe :) I've been meening to ask you,what kinda car is that in the picture,looked like a pretty sick ferrie,(can't spell)also what oil would you recommend for my old 318s,my dad always told me strait 30 but was reading about some benifits from zzp(or something)additives in certain oils ,or possibly even useing a desel oil?

I just found out I can get a deal on merc desel oil,15/40 for like 15 bucks a gallon.that's not too thick is it?or is desel oil the wrong type alltogether?I heard that desel was a better choice for these older 318's.

Well,probably ok wasent the assurance I was looking for,after all this is the blodline of the engin.Doesn't sound like your a fan of useing this,sounds alittle off to me as well so,what oil would you recomend?
Thanks again
Marc

Chrysler recommends SAE 30 for ambient operating temps above 32 deg F, SAE 20W for temps below 32 F, 10W-30 for as low as 10 F.

Thanks alot but zoom didn't work,I let those cans dry out in the sun and the guy at freeport marine said they usually don't go bad,also picked up some manifolds(just one engin for now)so,notify a good idea about the desel oil,wut about the zzp aditives that strait 30 doesn't have. Guys on here seemed to talk about added protection from them and well that hallways sounds good.Can't hurt rite? Is 15/40 too thick?

Marc, open up the image by clicking on it. Once open, double click on it and it should open up larger. Probably don't need it now but you could save for later refference. Can't comment on the deisel oil. Always a lot of talk about using different oils etc. I just don't see the need. I use straight 30 and it works for me. I check levels often, change once sometimes twice per season. Don't need anything exotic. Above 30 deg F Chrysler says SAE 30 or 20W-40.

Back