Logo

Oil circulation warning?

bigstar

Hi all. Sorry I don’t have more information about this engine. My girlfriend’s father has a tri-toon with a Honda outboard on it. Sorry I don’t know which model. He said he is getting a buzzer and light on the power and shift unit. He said it was an oil circulation warning. I tried to look that up online and couldn’t find anything on that specifically. I told him to check fuses and connectors but was hoping someone here has specific experience with this and some possible quick solutions to check or test? Thank you in advance. Unfortunately I don’t have more information or photos

Hi,
I don't know about every model or the very latest editions but, traditionally, Honda has always displayed a green "oil light" on the control. It should be illuminated whenever the outboard is running. If the ENGINE PROTECTION SYSTEM detects low oil pressure, it will extinguish the lamp and significantly de-power the engine putting it in "limp home" mode.

A red warning lamp and buzzer is typically an overheat warning which will also result in a loss of power. Ask him if the water tell tale stream was flowing or not.

To get assistance here (or anywhere else) you WILL need to get more info from the owner about what is specifically happening as well as basic engine stats like horsepower and approximate age.

The engine will have a label that has four letters and seven numbers for identification and would look something like BABJ 1205671 as an example.

He can look for that label on the part that clamps the outboard to the boat.

Good luck.

Ok so I just talked to him. He says the oil light is green and the motor is not running in “limp mode” but the dinger is going off whern the motor is running

Hi,
Well, we now know that he has one of the latest designs and the biggest, most powerful outboard Honda makes...the BF 250 D.

I don't have any experience with them. There is one guy on this forum, Ian, that I do believe has worked on them professionally.
Hopefully he sees this and can offer you some assistance. But he will still need as much of the "story" about what your friend is seeing to make any assumptions about the issue or what might be a solution.

That outboard is sophisticated, complicated and might be almost impossible to troubleshoot from afar.
Using the Honda diagnostic system might be required to sort out a problem on one of these.

Sorry that I can't be of any help on this one.

My best guess is that it is probably overheating.
No mention of the tell tale stream?
Does his dash have gauges?

He said the stream is flowing. The oil light has always been green. Sorry he gave me incorrect info earlier. When he turns the key on the alarm goes off. He said it isn’t going into limp mode. Wondering if there is a way to reset the alarm??? Maybe it’s a ground or CO2 sensor?

147A0EA3-35DE-4040-BFD0-75CCDC08B15E.jpeg

So....
....NO red light then?

Confusing.statement:
"When he turns the key on, the alarm goes off"......do you mean that the alarm sounds?

If so, that would be odd.

I have looked and I can't find a reference for oxygen sensors. (You said CO2 but I know what you meant).

I don't know...
I see a bilge pump switch....
Any possibility that it's not an engine alarm but something else?

Wow, I wish you could be more clear on describing what is going wrong.

OK, you turn on the key and get an alarm before starting the engine, is that correct?

When you turn the key on, do you get two rapid beeps and all four console lights flash briefly?

At this point, with the key on and no attempt to start, the red alternator light should be on and the other three lights should be off. Is that correct?

Is the alarm continuous, intermittent (about once every second) or rapid (about 2 times per second)?

Now, when you start the engine, the green oil pressure light should be on and the other three red lights (alternator, overheat, and MIL (check engine)) are off. Is that correct? At this point what does the alarm sound like - continuous, intermittent, or fast intermittent?

Is the engine slow starting? If so, you could simply have low battery voltage. Charge it and try again.

And are you sure that this alarm is from the engine? Maybe a bilge pump alarm, dying CO (carbon monoxide) detector alarm, or windless alarm.

I know! I’m sorry…. I was getting mixed information on it from another state. I think it turned out to be the water separator. I hag him check a lot of your suggestions and all checked out. He checked the water separator and cleaned it out, turned the boat on and the alarm went off. He is testing the boat now. Thanks for your suggestions

Haha,

That's great!
I laugh because my eyes just popped open....it's 1am here....
and it dawned on me it might be the water separator!

I logged on to tell you to check that and see that you've already figured it out!

Should have thought of that before but....

....Brain Cramps took over Gramps!

Glad you had success!

Back