Logo

Oil assistance for a dummy

Kokanee

Hey all, hoping more knowledgable people than me can assist. Back story: when my father passed away last year I took over his 1750 crestliner fishing boat with a 100HP 2004 (I believe) Evinrude direct injection “salt water edition” outboard motor (hopefully that’s enough info on the engine?). My dad never got the chance to show me everything about it, so reaching out to you fine folks:
Yesterday the engine died out on me due to a “hot” light indicator. Managed to use the trolling motor to get back to our cabin. Looking in the oil reservoir that connects to the motor it was empty (not sure why the low oil notice didn’t come on but that’s a problem for another day). Anyways, my question is: the decal on the engine shows oil as TCW3 so I picked up a bottle of that. I’m just wondering if I should be mixing it with gas, or if this one just uses straight oil in that reservoir? Googling gives me lots of results for mixing the TCW3 with gas, but then reading the manual I found online (https://www.manualslib.com/manual/453074/Evinrude-100.html?page=23#manual) it doesn’t mention anything about mixing, just says to put oil in and then how to clear the lines of air since it ran dry. Don’t want to take a guess at it and have a major problem on my hands. Thanks in advance!

A " direct injected " motor will not run for very long with oil mixed in the gas !!----They do not operate like a conventional 2 stroke.----If oil tank was empty you should do a compression test and post your numbers here.----Or hurry to your local boat shop and get them to help you.

Back