Logo

Oh no trouble with a stainless bolt

diver_dave

Advanced Contributor
"The wet weather broke yesterd

"The wet weather broke yesterday, so I had a chance to install the engine/transmission. The boat has aluminum angle plates, so usually the 6x 1/2" dia stainless bolts and self locking nuts go in without major hassle. This time, the sixth and last bolt galled (jammed) on the nut, about 4 turns from tight. I can't either tighten or loosen this hardware, so there it is, loose on the transmission mount. With 1/2" hardware, I'm unable with hand tools to shear the bolt. I'm left with maybe two options for removal. I could drill from the topside with bits to remove the bolt head. Or, I could attempt a nut splitter on the bottomside of the Al angle with reasonably poor access. I've managed to have never used a nut splitter; do they work? It's a selflocking SS nut, using a 3/4" hex."

You have probably got a nut th

You have probably got a nut that galded. It's recommended that you put a lube on them to prevent this. The last time I bought some for my bunk boards they sold me a lube for the stainless bolts for that reason. I use it anytime I'm installing a stainless screw or bolt in metal. I've found that a self threading one goes in to my aluminum hardtop legs a lot easier also.

You might be able to put some penetratin fluid on the nut and slowly work it back and forth. More than likely you will have to break it off or cut it. You should be able to break it with enough force. If not Try grinding the head off and then pushing it thru.

"No oil on earth will help her

"No oil on earth will help here--trust me on this! (Extensive SS hardware experience in the cryogenic field.) If you can get the bolt out, then I'd recommend the following: Tighten the SOB until it shears (twists off) and remove both halves.

Jeff:

PS: To avoid this malady, either lube the threads with a good anti-seize, or use a carbon steel nut on the stainless bolt (which works better than you'd think)."

"Nutsplitters - do they work?

"Nutsplitters - do they work? Based on my limited experience, yes but they usually get the threaded member, too. In your case, I'd say that's not a problem. Just make sure the business end is sharp. It may take several attempts to tighten it down but the stainless will part as it is relatively soft.

You could also try an impact wrench, electric or pneumatic, to induce the shear. I agree that hand tools won't help much on this.

If you opt to drill, those titanium bits worked for me. Keep them wet with lub and don't spin it real fast. a Hole Hawg would be ideal for this.

Last item that comes to mind is the infamous dremel tool and their 'diamond wheel'. just like a miniature cutoff wheel but works much slower. May be easier, though longer, to cut the hex corners off the bolt head and then knock it down."

I had good luck with a dremel

I had good luck with a dremel tool. I went through three wheels before the job was done but it worked.

Chuck Hanson

"update: the bolt splitter, a

"update: the bolt splitter, a new General piece, did its job, but gave up its life in the process. The biggest issue is that I had to do this blind, so I did not know the progress of the tool against the nut, and there was no reduction in torque as the nut split. Anyway, all well here, and YES, i'll be using lube on this stuff in the future."

Back