Logo

Odd Problem Solved

nateh

To all that replied to my thread about my loss of power and top speed, I figured you guys would like to know that I have realized what the issue is.....It's not the carb, or anything with the engine for that matter!

As I explained in my earlier thread, I tore out the 3/4 inch marine plywood floor. This was just a guess but I was sure the motor was up to par and running the way it should so I didn't know what else it could be! When the floor became lose the sides of the boat near the bottom where the floor attached relaxed a little bit. There is now more boat in the water!

Another factor was that originally the console was on the right side of the boat. 90% of the time I go fishing by myself, I quickly grew tired of the way the boat sat lopsided in the water. I would have to fill the livewell and hug the left side of the seat leaning towards the center in order for it to ride even, so I did some remodeling and rewiring and put the console in the center. When the console was lose the sides of the boat near the top sagged a little.

I simply put two ratchet traps around the hull and then two attached to just the top rails and tightened them accordingly until the width across the floor was the same as it was as the width across the bench seat near the back which had to be the right dimensions because the bench seat was never loosened. With the hull in it's original shape I fastened cross members to hold the shape and removed the straps.

I launched the boat and throttled down, It jumped out the hole faster, planed out quicker, and reached a top speed of 29! At best the hull was about 4-6 inches wider with this mishap, All the difference in the world when I comes to hydrodynamics.

Back