Logo

Ocean Rnner 200 with 225 Carbs?

Cable Mariner

I have a 97 Ocean Runner 200. and I am trying to get it running better. I have intermittant vibration at speeds above idle which smoothout above 3000 RPM. Things I have done since getting the motor.

• Compresion 120 lbs on all cyl. except No. 6 at 112-113 lbs.
  • New Power Pack Stator, regulator, Plugs, and plug wires.
  • Changed head gaskets.
  • New Thermostats, changed waterpump.
  • rebuilt carbs and sanded warped bowls flat (there was warpage observed on the bodies but did NOT sand the bodies).
  • Link, synch, and timing
  • replaced all fuel lines and fittings from tank to motor.
  • New water separator.
  • Replaced recirculation hoses.
  • Plastic ratacheting hose clamps on all engine hoses.
  • Retermintated a bunch of questionable electrical connections cleaned up almost every one especially grounds.

I'm thinking the warpage of the carb bodies (still have small weeping even after sanding bowls) may still be my issue. I can try one of 2 things.

1. pull the brass tubes from the carb bodies and cut off the gasket locating pins and sand the bodies flat and re-assemble. I am wary of this because I'm afraid of damaging something in the process.

2. I found a set of 225 Carbs / Throttle Body Assembly on eBay. Is it a direct swap to use the 225 carbs or is there anything alse that would need to be done. I know that the carb throats are wider and that the throttle bodies are matched to the carbs. Is there anything else that would need to be considered like, reeds, porting on block, or anything else I have not thought about? the carbs I'm looking at are from a 98 225.

My motor runs "decent" but I want it to run as good as I can get it. I'm running out of things to try.

Might recheck #6 as 5 and 6 should be a scant lower than others due to head casting. The carbs will be a bolt on and go, and the vibration could be harmonic depending on boat and prop

I inspected all cylinders while I had the heads off. 1 through 4 were pristine and the honing crosshatches were still visible and prominant. No's. 5 and 6 not so much. I assumed a lean run condition at some point in it's life caused them to wear a more. It's 25 yars old and I only got it a year ago.

The vibration bugs me. It idles in neutral flawlessly. Prop is almost new. It vibrates in gear. Shaft is straight (I've checked).

When I had the carbs apart I sanded the bowls flat. The flange on the body that the bowls mate to still had some warpage and it is visible with the carbs assembled. They used to leak a lot. They are much better than before but they still leak a little. I've gotten in there and cleaned because I'm trying to chase down leaks. My thought is that if gas leaks out air leaks in.

Does anyone know if 225 carbs. and throttle bodies can be installed onto a 200 without having to mdify anything else? I'm trying to figue out if thos would be worthwhile.

1 through 4 were pristine and the honing crosshatches were still visible and prominant
Sorry but this means absolutely nothing in mechanicals of engine..The carbs as I stated are bolt on and go.

Back