Logo

Obsolete fuel pump 1987 25HP

rmcderm313

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I'm ordering some replacement parts for an '87 25 HP and I've noticed that some parts are marked as obsolete, such as the fuel pump body (part 11):

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...7/CARBURETOR (MERC 25)(MARINER 25)/parts.html

Luckily I don't need one, at least I hope not. But out of curiosity I search all over for this part and it isn't available anywhere. Why are some parts on these older engines still available, and others not? What do you do if you find yourself in this situation?

Then I also noticed that for this particular model there are two options for the carb on the page that lists all the different assemblies. They are both described the same but when you go to the page of parts listings there are some differences, including that the fuel pump is not listed in this other carb diagram:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...7/CARBURETOR (MERC 25) (MARINER 25)/parts.html

I hope this isn't a really stupid question, but why are there two carb options on the same model, one with a fuel pump and one without?

Thanks as always for the continued assistance as I learn about this motor.
Rob

There are a few different answers to your questions.

First off, when a part is discontinued, say the fuel pump itself, since the body probably failed alot less often than the gaskets or seals, there would be maybe 10X or 100X more of a particular component in stock than the the whole unit or a major component of it - so for every complete fuel pump their could be 1000 o-rings etc.

As to the two different carbs - they are "almost" identical but one is adapted for electric start models which have an electric choke and the other is for rope start (choke yourself by pulling a knob).

Currently, the rebuild kit for both models is identical because whatever additional part "was" available is no longer, so while the kits are listed separately for each carb model, the rebuild kit is the same number...

So Graham, how does the difference between the electric start and the rope start relate to the lack of the fuel pump body in one of them? Is the fuel pump not needed in one or the other?

Canoeman, I had searched for it and the first dozen or so hits showed "out of stock" or simply "obsolete" with no option to add to cart. Mercuryperformance.com wasn't one of those that I checked. I appreciate you sending the link. I must have given up too soon.

No, there is a fuel pump on both models - not sure what site you are looking at that doesn't show the pump with both models.

There are a number of private "marine" supply places that sell Merc parts. If you go to an oem authorized source you will get the best information and the best parts availability for anything that is still stocked by merc.

www.mercruiserparts.com is an OEM dealer - check them out.

A couple years back Merc had major heartburn with non-authorized dealers using Merc's own parts diagrams (from their parts source or the service manuals) - they ordered many sites to take them down or face the lawyers - many did or jury rigged up some diagrams that may or may not be fully representative - so I wouldn't use a website diagram as a comprehensive representation of a particular part.

Both styles have a fuel pump incorporated into them.---Simple matter of replacing the diaphragms and gaskets to get a working pump again.

Back