Logo

number one on chrysler marine 318

Oh what the heck..... I have to throw in one more! :D
Grease, I hope you know that I'm just fun'n with ya!

"OK.... listen up, everyone!"
"You on the left there....... you're going to research everything you can on the Chrysler LM 318 Marine engine, including Ignition Timing."
"You on the right........ you're going to search for any and everything you can on #7 cylinder location."
"We will all meet here again on Friday morning!"
"Please have your presentations ready!"

can-stock-photo_csp6580886.jpg

Attachments

• Group meeting.jpg
    Group meeting.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 80
Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage........................4!

2100 views!

AnyONE know the record?

So #1 won, right?

Who's on first, What's on 2nd.....................................

1.... AnyONE know the record?

2.... So #1 won, right?
1... No..... who's counting? LOL

2... Don't know yet until we hear back from GM! Hopefully, he's working on it! :)

I think that I screwed up by posting The End..... I think that we're having an "Intermission" only!

ok guys if i wasnt confused before...lol if i have a standard rotation motor and im looking at the flywheel and think of a clock.. will it be turning clockwise or counter clock wise?... and also if i order a standard rotation motor over the phone and asked clockwise or counter clockwise would they be refering to a standard and if so when the guy on the phone replies would the guy from the motor shop be looking at the flywheel or the harmonic balancer...i know this sound like a stupid question but if you look at the same motor from the front it turns one direction and the same motor from the back it turns the other way...

ok guys if i wasnt confused before... lol
1..... if i have a standard rotation motor and im looking at the flywheel and think of a clock.. will it be turning clockwise or counter clock wise?...

2..... and also if i order a standard rotation motor over the phone and asked clockwise or counter clockwise would they be refering to a standard and if so when the guy on the phone replies would the guy from the motor shop be looking at the flywheel or the harmonic balancer...

3.... i know this sound like a stupid question but if you look at the same motor from the front it turns one direction and the same motor from the back it turns the other way..
You have awakened an old thread!

1..... Your Standard LH Rotation engine, when viewed from the flywheel face, will rotate CCW or LH.

As long as I've been involved with Auto or Marine Engines, American Industry Standard has determined engine rotation as though viewed from the flywheel end, of which case is the rear of the engine. This is regardless of it's orientation of installation within the hull (i.e., V-drive or Std Marine Transmission shaft drive).
(see #3)

2..... when ordering an engine, all Engine Suppliers will speak this same language, so if you call out either Std LH or Rev RH, it will get you what you need.

3.... If you were to view the front of a St LH Rotation engine (although the balancer appears to be turning CW now), the engine is actually still rotating in the same CCW or LH direction....... the difference is our perspective...... so think Flywheel!

Sort of like facing forward. To our Right is Starboard, but if we turn around and face AFT, to our Right is now Port.
(ok.... that was rather silly.... but you get my point!) ;)

Chris Craft did some odd front crankshaft drive installations years ago. These engines faced flywheel forward, but technically the actual engine rotation is still determined by the flywheel end. Some confusion came into play when discussing propeller rotation with these engines.
Examples:
A Starboard "flywheel FWD" engine (driving from the front crankshaft), may rotate a RH propeller, yet in Industry Standard terms the engine is actually a Std LH engine.
The Port "flywheel FWD" engine (driving from the front crankshaft), may rotate a LH propeller, yet in Industry Standard terms the engine is actually a REV RH engine.

I'm sure that during replacements, a few incorrect rotations were ordered and installed over the years.

I thought that the Chrysler 318/360 was pretty covered in this thread.
The SBC #1 cylinder is furthest FWD Port side (driver's side car/truck) same as the 318/360.
The 335 series Ford #1 cylinder is furthest FWD, Stbd side (passenger side car/truck).

If you were to visit some of the online Corvair rear engine car forums, you will see that the Corvair #1 is towards the rear of the car, or harmonic balancer end.

mictat2214 said:
1st plug, port side forward!
SHEESH!
Not is you have V-drives.
When looking at the timing marks on the flywheel, it's the furthest cylinder on the left side bank. All the time, every time.
JJ, I may not be following you on this.

The industry standard does not care how an engine is orientated within the hull or vehicle, the front of an engine (harmonic balancer end), is always the front of an engine............... (auto/marine/commercial/industrial), the #1 cylinder has always been the furthest cylinder forward in terms of Front/Rear... not orienation.
Likewise, the rear of an engine (flywheel end) is always the rear of an engine.... regardless of how the engine is oriented within the hull.
Whether V-drive, Goofy Chris Craft front crank drive, or conventional Shaft Drive........ etc.
Harmonic balancer end = front.
Flywheel end = rear.

Yes/No????

Not is you have V-drives.

When looking at the timing marks on the flywheel, it's the furthest cylinder on the left side bank. All the time, every time.

-JJ

Forward meaning the FRONT of the engine, harmonic balancer end, opposite end from the flywheel, whether or not it is facing aft or sideways or upside down... As I said; SHEESH!

Forward meaning the FRONT of the engine, harmonic balancer end, opposite end from the flywheel, whether or not it is facing aft or sideways or upside down... As I said; SHEESH!

sideways or upside down??? Hmmmm, I hadn't considered that option!
:D

What about a 440? (Just busting b***s everyone)
Ahh, the 440!
THAT #1, is in the center of the engine! :D (I have four choices, but I can never remember which one it is.)

Maybe we should switch the topic to radial aircraft engines!

Last edited:

You said PORT side forward. This isn't the case if the FRONT of your engine faces the AFT of the boat. Since my engines are mounted backwards (v-drives) my #1 cylinders face the STARBOARD side of the boat and NOT the port side.

PORT and STARBOARD are definitive directions based on the boat.

-JJ

You said PORT side forward. This isn't the case if the FRONT of your engine faces the AFT of the boat. Since my engines are mounted backwards (v-drives) my #1 cylinders face the STARBOARD side of the boat and NOT the port side.

PORT and STARBOARD are definitive directions based on the boat.

-JJ

ATTENTION: Front of the engine is the end opposite the flywheel, regardless of positioning... facing forward, aft, left, right, inside out, outside in, downside up, upside down, sideways, caddy cornered, in a crate on a dolly in the garage, at the factory, in someone's mind or whatever... Thusly, the # 1 cylinder is the furthest on the left if one is facing the flywheel, & closest on the right if one is facing the harmonic balancer ... Capeesh?

ATTENTION: Front of the engine is the end opposite the flywheel, regardless of positioning... facing forward, aft, left, right, inside out, outside in, downside up, upside down, sideways, caddy cornered, in a crate on a dolly in the garage, at the factory, in someone's mind or whatever... Thusly, the # 1 cylinder is the furthest on the left if one is facing the flywheel, & closest on the right if one is facing the harmonic balancer ... Capeesh?

I know where the front of the engine is. To repeat myself again, you said PORT side. Do you know where port side is?

Port side is on your left when facing forward. Capeesh?

-JJ

I think that this thread has gone way beyond it's usefulness.
After about the first dozen or so posts, it became entertainment, amusement and humor for me. :D

Mictat, you are correct with your definition until we talk Port/Stbd with a flywheel-forward engine orientation/installation.
In defense of JJ here, in post #99, you did say; "1st plug, port side forward!"
JJ's comment was; "not if you have V-drives", in that with V-drives, "Port Side" no longer defines the side where #1 cylinder would be.
#1 actually remains in the same physical location......., but now becomes "engine" forward-most cylinder Stbd Side.

I'm going to the concession counter for popcorn.............., can I bring you guys anything?
west_bend_3_qt_popcorn_bowl.jpg

I think that this thread has gone way beyond it's usefulness.
After about the first dozen or so posts, it became entertainment, amusement and humor for me. :D

Mictat, you are correct with your definition until we talk Port/Stbd with a flywheel-forward engine orientation/installation.
In defense of JJ here, in post #99, you did say; "1st plug, port side forward!"
JJ's comment was; "not if you have V-drives", in that with V-drives, "Port Side" no longer defines the side where #1 cylinder would be.
#1 actually remains in the same physical location......., but now becomes "engine" forward-most cylinder Stbd Side.

I'm going to the concession counter for popcorn.............., can I bring you guys anything?
west_bend_3_qt_popcorn_bowl.jpg

If my brain is correct - & some may doubt that - forward, front or whatever of Chrysler 318 marine engines is the end of the engine that is opposite the flywheel; the end of the engine that has the harmonic balancer, regardless of engine position... any other interpretation, immho, is inane, to say the least...

If my brain is correct - & some may doubt that - forward, front or whatever of Chrysler 318 marine engines is the end of the engine that is opposite the flywheel; the end of the engine that has the harmonic balancer, regardless of engine position... any other interpretation, immho, is inane, to say the least...

Did you, or did you not say "port side forward"?

End of discussion.

-JJ

mictat2214, those are some pretty strong words there!
Let me say that you are absolutely correct when discussing the engine ONLY, and/or in a conventional shaft drive installation.
But in all honesty, I must agree with JJ............... you did say "port side forward", and then JJ countered that thought with the V-drive analogy!

Consider a conventional Borg Warner/Paragon/MS-4/Hurth straight shaft drive -vs- a V-drive engine orientation, and it will make sense to you.

Like said, #1 cylinder remains the forward-most cylinder re; the engine, but #1 now becomes Stbd side..... and that's what JJ is refering to.

Just to be clear...., the discussion isn't debating as to where #1 is on the engine, it's regarding your wording; "1st plug, port side forward".
Had you said; "1st plug, port side forward for conventional installation", there'd be no debate nor correction being made here.

Attachments

• Port Stbd #1 cyl  V-drive vs straight drive.jpg
    Port Stbd #1 cyl V-drive vs straight drive.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
mictat2214, those are some pretty strong words there!
Let me say that you are absolutely correct when discussing the engine ONLY, and/or in a conventional shaft drive installation.
But in all honesty, I must agree with JJ............... you did say "port side forward", and then JJ countered that thought with the V-drive analogy!

Consider a conventional Borg Warner/Paragon/MS-4/Hurth straight shaft drive -vs- a V-drive engine orientation, and it will make sense to you.

Like said, #1 cylinder remains the forward-most cylinder re; the engine, but #1 now becomes Stbd side..... and that's what JJ is refering to.

Just to be clear...., the discussion isn't debating as to where #1 is on the engine, it's regarding your wording; "1st plug, port side forward".
Had you said; "1st plug, port side forward for conventional installation", there'd be no debate nor correction being made here.

Lets go back to book again! The No. 1 cylinder is the Front cylinder on the left side when viewed from the rear of the engine looking towards the waterpump!!!

Okay, so I'm standing at the front of the engine which is the pulley side,oh wait,lets look at it from the back now....okay we're looking from the flywheel now...lets look Towards the water pump because we cant do that from the front!! ok Awesome,lets have a look from the back because thats where we determine engine rotation...so you people with sterndrives get out of the boat now because we're looking from the flywheel side....there it is??!!

Triviaw

Where is number 1 here?

Attachments

• IMG00545.jpg
    IMG00545.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 89
greasemonkey said:
Lets go back to book again! The No. 1 cylinder is the Front cylinder on the left side when viewed from the rear of the engine looking towards the waterpump!!!
Bingo! Give the man a cigar will ya! :)

greasemonkey said:
Where is number 1 here?

Grease, I have to ask why we are now switching the conversation from a Chrysler engine to what looks like a Ford Windsor engine?
But in reading your analogy, you did get me thinking and questioning myself about this, so I decided to run a little test with the Ford engine.
I put five Ford Windsor engines in a big paper bag, and shook them up, and I even squished one of them.
When I dumped them out onto the shop floor, #1 cylinder was still in the same location.
Can you help me out here?

Attachments

• Ford Windsor #1 cylinder.jpg
    Ford Windsor #1 cylinder.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 85
Did you, or did you not say "port side forward"?

End of discussion.

-JJ

Most assuredly I did say that! Forward being the " FRONT " of the engine!! Not The " REAR" of the engine! The " FRONT " as any person with basic mechanical knowledge of autos, trucks, boats airplanes, tanks, lawnmowers, tractors, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum knows! FRONT is FRONT! REAR is REAR regardless of position... Finito on this for me...

Most assuredly I did say that! Forward being the " FRONT " of the engine!! Not The " REAR" of the engine! The " FRONT " as any person with basic mechanical knowledge of autos, trucks, boats airplanes, tanks, lawnmowers, tractors, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum knows! FRONT is FRONT! REAR is REAR regardless of position... Finito on this for me...

Yes we all know about FORWARD and FRONT. But, you also said PORT. Which is WRONG.

You keep talking about FORWARD and FRONT and it's so obviously apparent that you're avoiding the fact that you said PORT. You keep pu$$y footing around the word PORT and only mention FORWARD and FRONT in your responses. Frankly, it's pathetic.

YOU SAID PORT and that is WRONG. A sign of intelligence is admitting when you're wrong....obviously you have none.

-JJ

Last edited:
Yes we all know about FORWARD and FRONT. But, you also said PORT. Which is WRONG.

You keep talking about FORWARD and FRONT and it's so obviously apparent that you're avoiding the fact that you said PORT. You keep pu$$y footing around the word PORT and only mention FORWARD and FRONT in your responses. Frankly, it's pathetic.

YOU SAID PORT and that is WRONG. A sign of intelligence is admitting when you're wrong....obviously you have none.

-JJ

First of all, I don't think it's too respectful to question a person's intelligence when you don't know me from a hole in the wall.

Secondly, you said " end of discussion "... obviously not true; you just had to get the last word in.

As I said; " Finito on this for me ".

Back