Logo

NS70A2 dies when put in gear

SaltyScot

Regular Contributor
With all the outboards I've had in the last 3-4 years, I've never had one that did this. This is a new to me motor. I think it's 1988-1992 2 cylinder. Comp is 140/135. It runs and revs great in neutral. Easily up to 6000 rpm. Then I put it in gear to take off and it falls flat. Sometimes cuts out, and sometimes will run up to 2500 rpms and will stay there. Once it went up to 3000. I've tried different fuel tanks/lines. I removed the fuel filter and replaced the fuel pump. Old one looked like it was toast inside. The inner gasket was melted, like it wasn't fuel rated. And the outer one(pump to block) was missing. The carbs look like they're brand new. Maybe the melted gasket chunked off and gummed up the jets? But it does run well in neutral. IDK. Any thoughts.?

Stephen

All motors rev up in neutral !!----Means nothing.------Sounds like there is an issue with spark.----Perhaps running on one cylinder.----Perhaps a bad reed valve.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" ( 1 cm ) on both leads?

Four thing to run.------Crankcase comression.---Ignition at right time.-----Correct amount of fuel.----CComression in cylinder.----So check flywheel key.----Check reed valves.

How do you time a motor that has no timing marks? I set up my timing light prepared to use the "Joe Reeves Method" to time it and there are no marks on the flywheel.

The crazy thing is that the seller had video of the motor running great down the river about 4-5 weeks prior to me buying it. But then I discovered someone worked on the lower and screwed it up. So maybe they messed up something else too.

Back