Logo

nothing but problems

bowedup804

Hey Guys,
Let me give you a little back story- I paid a guy to recondition an '81 35hp johnson for me. When I got it back, it was running great-like it was brand new. That night my brother-in-law tied the boat up to some pilings on the family dock. The tide went out and when it came back up- the ropes got stuck on the oysters and I awoke to my boat turned on its side(thank god for float blocks). The engine never went underwater but was at the waterline and water did get into the cover. I took it out and checked her over- no water in the cylinders or anything, but the carb had water inside, and it wouldn't start so it went straight back to the mechanic I got it from. He cleaned the carb, replaced the rectifier and a couple electrical connections and sent her back, but it hasn't run right since. At first it was just a rough idle. Then it didn't want to start without the choke half way out and didn't idle well at all. But its now gotten to where it won't start without the choke nearly all the way out. Then I have to push the choke in and rev it to get it to run. As soon as it comes down in rpm's it dies.

All the while, if I start it and bump it into gear and give it some gas, she runs great.

Seems like a fuel pick-up issue to me but I don't know anything about outboard engines. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

It sounds like either your mechanic didn't clean the carburetor thoroughly OR some debris from within the fuel line has worked its way into the carburetor.

In either case, the carburetor needs removing, cleaning, etc. Clean manually the high speed jet located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chamber, way in back of the carburetor drain screw plug.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

If it got salt water into the motor it needs to be completely taken apart and cleaned as soon as possible. Pull the intake manifold and see if salt is in the reeds. If so its up to you to keep running it that way. If salt got into the crankcase and you dont get it out the motor will be toast in short order.

Last edited:
Back