Logo

not pumping water

weejohn

i have a Yamaha auto lube 50hp , the problem the engine was not pumping water just steam coming out of the pea hole . i put a new impeller on , the old one was ok .i also connected a garden hose to the water inlet and took of the thermostat of the water flew threw the pea hole fine , i replaced the thermostat with a new one and connected the bottom back on . still not pumping water i know the top section is ok cause i connected a hose to it and i know the rod is connected to the water pump . i am lost any ideas ?

the thermostat can only go in one way if i put it in upside down it would stick out the engine block . the engine block is not the problem i tested it with a hose and water went through fine .it has something to do with the pump

yes the water is high enough i even put muffs of it with no difference . this time the alarm went of and the engine was over heating and went in to limp mode . could it be the head gasket and a blockage in the head ?

I know you said the previous impeller looked fine.Did you have a look under the impeller plate for any old pieces of a previous one that got left behind?Just trying to eliminate a few things.

When you had the hose connected to the water tube and the thermostat cover off. Did any water come out of the hole where the thermostat sits?If nothing came out there and only out of the telltale you have a blockage.

Water came out where I had taken the thermostat out and also came out of the pea hole is . I checked the plate below the water pump and all was clear I also pressure washed it then put new gasket when I put the plate back on the water pump housing

Hi. It seems alright thats it's a problem at the lower end. It's the impeller housing in good condition? Any damage or deep scores on the smooth surface? Have a look at where the copper uptake pipe slots into the impeller housing, is it a good tight fit? Perhaps you could attach a. Cordless drill to the shaft(taking care not to damage tje splines) And see if it will pump water that way?

the chuck on my drill was to small to fit . i have ordered a new bottom plate a new water pump housing , housing insert and large o ring that way every thing below is new also it will be original Yamaha stuff not the cheap fake stuff that is floating around , thanks to everyone for there input i hope this sorts the problem when i install new parts , i will keep you all up dated

Back