Logo

NOS Armature Kit - Where to find????

UKMike

Contributing Member
Hi fellow boaters,

I'm urgently trying to locate a NOS or after market replacement part for my Merc V 135 "Eaton square trim motor. Can anyone help or advise?

The part numbers I have are 12661 or OEM 3852561.

Des anyone know where I can get any of these or a replacement motor?

Regards
UKMike

HI Mike. I am not sure if it’s exactly the same but I bought one from Amazon from a crowd called rare electrical.
It was USD 180 and they shipped it to me from the US to South Africa in a very short space of time.
Mine was the three wire Eaton and they sent me two wire with all the necessary harnesses to remove the solenoids etc.
My only complaint was that I had to change the fuse from the 20 AMP to a 30 AMP version as it kept blowing, but it works 100% and like new.

the way I found it was to type the part number I had into google and it took me to Amazon.

My last two cents is that the armature on it’s own is 66 USD. The whole replacement motor with new wiring and the pump unit is an extra 120...
There are a number of other parts to consider in addition to the armature in an electric motor that is more than likely around 20 + years old

Thanks, unfortunately MA.com won't ship directly to the UK so I can't easily get that part, and if I use a shipping agent it costs a lot more. I want to try and get NOS if possible as I have taken the motor apart and I really only need the brushes, armature a the top locating washer,I can get the seals elsewhere.My existing Eaton has 4 fixing bolts going through the motor plate into the pump and the pumps displayed on ebay only seem to have 2?

Hi Mike. The old eaton pumps have 4 long screws that go into a metal plate at the bottom. That plate is then the “top” of the pump which is secured with two allen heads into the trim unit. You can only see the top plate and not the pump when you remove the electric motor.

The replacement electric motors attach to the pump using short allen head screws and not the long four bolts as with the old eaton electric motor.

The one I bought and attached a pic of above came with the electric motor and a replacement pump and the entire process start to finish took me less than an afternoon to do.

I am almost 90% sure that the one above would fit your motor. I am going to attach a photo showing what it looked like with the electric pump removed below this one.

The advantage with Amazon is that they ship globla and you have the entire unit new. It’s also a lot faster and quieter than the old system.

Thanks, really appreciate your help, I think that's a much better option is the electrical work much work for a NON-Electrician ?

Hi Mike. The Electrical work is very easy and the instructions are very clear.
the hardest part for me was removing the old pump from inside the trim assembly before putting the new one in as the orings had gone hard and this took some doing.

One other tip is to have a few spare fuses when you go to test and also make sure to insulate the fuse ends, the insulation on the wiring shrank back and shorted on mine.

This only happned when i was trimming under way with the extra pressure creating increased load on the motor and therefore extra heat.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the advice, I have the trim unit off the boat currently as it's a spare unit, I've just replaced the ram seals and relief springs + ball bearings and relief valve as well as clearing out the ATF as going to fill with Quicksilver Tilt and Trim fluid which should help with the life of the unit when I swap it back. It's the original unit and needed a complete makeover :)

Back