Logo

non sparker!

planesail

ive had a rude 4 hp twin which I bought new in 1987, used for 2 years ,never missed a beat, it has been layed up ever since wheni tried to start it it would not fire. stripped off flywheel to check points ,all clean gaps ok , when reasembled first pull to check spark at plugs , spark only on one plug, when I continued pulling starter there is no spark at all,????? ive replaced the condensers still no spark, please help as ive reached the limit of my [Little} knowledge! any suggestions folks?:confused:

Lightly scuff the points w/800 grit sand paper. Sand to clean metal all ground points esp. the coils.

hi guygig, ive tried all of your suggestions , still no spark,also disconnected the plug lead from the plug cap to see if there was a spark from the plug lead , nothing , anything else I could try? a mate of mine suggested it could be the magnets in the flywheel may have lost their magnetism ? does this seem likely? any help would be greatly apprecated , many thanks

The magnets are permanent magnets which do not go bad.

Clean the points with either lacquer or acetone and with a small hobby type brush. Set the points as follows with clean (acetone/lacquer thinner) gauges.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubbing portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE 1: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

NOTE 2: Should the cam have the word TOP imbossed on the top of it, that is a cam that could be installed upside down and this is simply telling you which side is up. It is not a position where one would set the points.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Use Champion s/plugs gaped at .030 .

Sitting for two years?........ Clean the carburetor as it's no doubt fouled.

Back