Logo

Noise in plopeller rotation

Clicking in FORWARD when turning prop clockwise might be normal.-----Tried running the motor.

I didn't try to start it, I still haven't filled the gear with oil. If I engage in reverse the noise does not appear only in forward. Maybe I didn't install properly? Although the gears are online according to the gear lever.

Last edited:
Yes, it's probably normal, I checked by pulling the cable without drive. I shifted into reverse and pulled after that I shifted into neutral and pulled then shifted forward and pulled the cable, the engine turned and the strange noise did not appear. Apparently it is caused only when you combine forward gear and turn manually from the propeller. Hope I'm not wrong :)
Thanks.

The F gear contains an "overrun clutch" which allows the engine speed to be reduced while the propeller follows the force of the slip stream in which it's turning. If it weren't for the clutch, when you come off WOT to slow down, your teeth could wind in your windshield....a big brake limiting forward boat movement.

The clutch is like a sawtooth, being of triangular shape and then dropping vertical. The click is when it comes off the peak and falls to the lowest height of the next tooth. The propeller/prop shaft move(s) in and out approximately 1/4" as the clutch dog (around the prop shaft) follows the sawtooth on the rear of F gear.

If you filled the LU with lube (Mercury/Quicksilver Premium LU oil) you probably won't hear gears clanking.

If you turn the propeller CW looking from the rear, the prop will move a few degrees and the flat side of the dog gear will strike the flat (vertical) surface of the sawtooth and stop. This is deliberate as these vertical surfaces are how the engine twists the prop shaft and it forces the prop shaft to spin, turning the prop and propelling the boat.

Back