Logo

no WOT

ryans01z28

Contributing Member
I Have a 82 evinrude 75hp and it has no wide open throttle. when you rock the throttle fwd the butterfly's dont move and the throttle cam rocks toward the prop side of the engine if that makes any sense. if you hit reverse the butterflys open up. i havent actually had the motor running yet but the guy that traded me the boat told me this was a problem and indeed it doesnt look like theres any wot. any ideas??

Last edited:
Look close at the shift lock mechanism it sounds like someone adjusted it who didnt know what they were doing you should get about 1/2 throttle in reverse and full throttle in forward.
It's just about opposite of what you are saying right now. It's wot in reverse and 100% closed when u go wot fwd. I'm going to look again today

Looks like someone had the cables switched around for some reason. I will try to get it started sometime this week and see if it runs

well i got it fired up tonight and now it has wot and stays at wot when running. the shifter is in neutral and the engine revs way up and i cant get it shut off unless i pull the spark plug wire.
i put a new ignition switch in it and that might be the problem becaues i dont have every wire hooked up. i have the power, starter, ground,and choke hooked up but i still am missing the magneto wire which i assume is the black/w/yellow stripe since it gives u a shock and when i have the volt meter hooked to it after its started and shut off the current slowly drops. as far as the other 3 wires i have no clue what they would be for. does anyone have a wire schematic for this engine and why would the engine stay reved up??

The kill wire blac/yel goes to one of the M terminals on the ignition switch and ground goes to the other do not apply battery voltage to it you will need a new switchbox.
http://maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/82_84_V4_NOTNT.jpg they have the power ttilt diagram also

i didnt appy voltage to it, it was already there. i checked the wire before i start it and its dead and after i start it, it has voltage that slowly drops.

heres what wires i have left on the switch

photo.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure you disconnect the battery before you connect the kill wire if you touch it to battery pos for even a split secont it will fry your switchbox. When you short the black/yellow wire to ground it kills the motor. the ignition is separate from the charging system.

ok i actually got the motor to run the way it should except it kinda spudders and pops son now ill have to see what that is, prob the carbs need a good cleaning
here is some pics of the linkage if anyone sees something wrong they could tell me.
photo 1(1).jpgphoto 2(1).jpg
and im also needing to get this 6hp motor up and running. i need the the little composite gear that spins the flywheel when you pull the rope
photo 3(1).jpgphoto 4.jpg

thanks for the help

Last edited:
ok i actually got the motor to run the way it should except it kinda spudders and pops some now ill have to see what that is, prob the carbs need a good cleaning

Do you think the popping could be caused by the 3cracked coils? I can see them arching when the lights are out

Last edited:
Back