Logo

No water out of pee hole - I'm stuck...

wild.coast

Stuck for ideas on this one, would really appreciate some help :)

Started engine for first time after winter and no water coming out of pee hole. More details:
  • Yamaha F50LB 2014
  • Ran perfectly well last season. I flushed the engine well after our last trip before it got put away for the winter. Didn't fog the engine but made sure to store it vertically (trimmed down) to ensure all water was able to drain and didn't freeze inside
  • Put in fresh fuel and a new fuel filter, started it, engine runs but no water coming out of pee hole!
  • Water pump assembly replaced previous year, less than 100hrs on it, again worked perfectly end of last season!
  • I took off the lower unit and checked the impeller and it all seems fine, no salt deposits, nice and clean and seems to be in good condition
  • With the lower unit off, I stuck a hose up the copper water pipe running into the engine, after a few seconds have a strong jet of water coming out of the pee-hole -> so it's not blocked!
  • Even got rid of the water ears and put the outboard submerged in a large Rubbermaid full of water, ensuring the two intake grills are submerged. Still nothin'
  • I let the engine run for 30-45sec at a time a few times to see if it would start peeing but nothing. Afraid to overheat it so turned it off.
At a loss of what to do next or what it could even be?

The water in your test bucket must be 6" ABOVE the impeller.-----Try a bigger deeper bucket or back the boat into the river.

Ah, good advice. I did end up taking the lower unit off again and replaced the impeller, with water ears it was working, so who knows if it was the water level or maybe some air pocket or the impeller after all. I bet that even with the old impeller, if I had it 6" below there maybe would have been enough water pressure for it to work -> keeping it as a spare

Thx for the advice @racerone !

Back