Logo

No water after rebuild

CCH

Contributing Member
Hello, So this winter I had re-sleeved and rebuilt my 60hp vro. Today I worked on firing it up so at first no water as I only ran it for like 20-30 seconds. After which I hooked up the cups and fired it up and it ran nice and smooth only problem no water at all not one drop!!!! I then pulled off the cover to the thermostat and ran it again and no even a drop came out no water also from the idiot line . Pretty sure all the gaskets are correct really can't go wrong there. Did I destroy the pump running it for 30 seconds with out water or could winter have damaged it?
All help welcome don't really want to pull the motor again.

Thanks

Yes ----You likely destroyed the impeller and melted the housing where the stainless cup sits.----Time to inspect and post picture of the impeller !!------Complete latest water pump kit should be installed.-----Not sure why anyone would do this ???

I have seen many bad worn out impellers.------Lately I have seen some 3 cylinder impellers run dry ( 2 of them ) totally destroyed by folks who simply did not know.-----So this might be #3 here.-----0432955 is the kit you should install.----Make cooling system mods if not already done !

Last edited:
Got some picture, pretty sure did no damage to the motor it did not run long. So not the same as a seadoo motor you can run for a minute or so. Will post but the pump totalled. Usually pretty Smart on this stuff missed one. Parts on order. Thanks all.Pump.jpg

Last edited:
Hi my motor is a 1988 CJ60TLCCR that part number is for 1989 and newer. Will it work or should I try to find 0396729. My does not have the thermostat in the lower unit it is just above the top piston.

Thanks

What do you mean by ----" thermostat in the lower unit " -----No model # in post #1 I guessed it was a 56 cube model.-----Your pump looks just like the 2 I saw a while back , perhaps worse !!

I thought you had posted a part number 0432955 does that work on a 1988 60hp?
Model CJ60TLCCR
Serial C 8227119

Last edited:
Hello, so a little nervous about starting with new water pump
. Can I just turn the motor over and see water come out or is that to slow and the motor needs to run? Install went nice have the fins bent in the right direction. Or just fire it up and see what happens
. Thanks

Get full water flow to muffs.-----Start motor.
Yep. OP mentioned a Seadoo and I think that's where the confusion comes. On Jet skis you definitely start the engine first, turn on water, run, shut down water, then shut down engine. If you don't follow that sequence you can actually fill the engine with water.

OP, the water passages on your outboard do not work the same as a jet ski. The rubber water pump impeller needs to have water on it at all times otherwise you get melted fins as you saw. As racer said, turn on water full blast, start the engine, shut down the engine, then turn off water. Or, in a best case scenario, you run the engine in a tub of water and let the water pump do all the work.

KJ

Back