Logo

No Throttle in Forward Gear

Texjmcd77

1958 35 hp Seahorse. The shift handle goes farther when put in reverse than it does when put in forward. Shift lock lever not in detent when forward gear selected. I just got this motor a few days ago.

Model # is ??---Find the wee plate on the side of the exhaust housing.----Inside is the shift connecter.----Make sure notches are lined up with holes and put the bolts in.

I had the plate removed to view the shift connector and it looked fine. Then, when moving the shifter handle a few times, it moved all the way into forward position. It had to be the clip on the motor cover stopping the shift handle from moving all the way forward. Now the throttle goes to wide open like it should. Model RDE-19C Thanks for your quick response. Soon after fixing motor cover placement I finally found the id plate.

Some things need to happen for it to shift.
1. Throttle needs to be set to a slow position
2. Motor needs to be running ----OR
3. Twirl the prop.

Some things need to happen for it to shift.
1. Throttle needs to be set to a slow position
2. Motor needs to be running ----OR
3. Twirl the prop.
Maybe that is what happened instead of the clip on the side of the motor cover. Because I did twirl the prop a number of times during troubleshooting yesterday. I need to remember that. Thank you.

Back